May 16: O's vs Yankees -- can we avoid being swept?

SteveA

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

After today, we will have played the Yankees and Red Sox in 20 of 40 games.   We will not play either team again until August 2, 78 days from now.

Playing so many games  against the division's top teams teams is a reminder of the very large talent gap between the Orioles and those teams.(I see both teams even more because I live in New York and get the NYYs on cable, and my wife is a RS fan.)

Both teams have some players who are among the best in the game, a status you can argue only Means has right now as an Oriole. Despite not having top draft picks, they each have drafted and brought a few very good players through their systems, some of whom they've traded. Both have some very good players from year-after-year signings of young international players, something the Orioles are unlikely to have at the major league level for several more years in the best case. When they see an opportunity or have a gap, the NYYs and RS can and do trade for or sign an expensive veteran. Both have developed players with patience at the plate. Both teams have power hitters who take advantage of their small home (and other NL East)  ballparks. Other than Devers and players filling in because of injuries, these teams don't put weak defenders on the field. Both teams have general managers with records of success in building teams. The NYYs' 2019 revenues were about three times the Orioles, and the RS's were about twice.

That's a lot of catching up to do.