Schmuck on Tex

Sports Guy

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about the hometown discount for his hometown Orioles? Says Teixeira, “I have family in Baltimore. But I have family in Georgia. And I have family in New York.”

I suppose we can all read these comments and interpet them differently. But any interpetation has as much value as any other.

Find a comment from him where he specifically mentions a place he wants to play.

I doubt you will.

Not because he does or doesn't want to play certain places, but because he wants to get the most money he can.

The hometown discount is supposed to even out the contender advantage that a team like New York (which may not even go after him) would have, but we still would have to match money.

And last time I checked, he's not going back to Georgia, and New York is at least suggesting they won't go for him (though obviously those comments should be scrutinized carefully as well), so he's quickly running out of places with family :laughlol:

I really hope you can see the difference between:

I grew up there, was a fan of the team all my life and have a lot of family and friends there.

vs

Uncle Jim leaves in Albany

Exactly, he doesn't want to limit his market so he won't give an advantage to anybody. I suspect you won't see him favor any team to keep his market as wide open as it can get. Boras wants as many suitors possible as he does with any client of his...

But that doesn't mean he doesn't have a team he wants to play for and wants to get as much money as possible from them.

Find a comment from him where he specifically mentions a place he wants to play.

I doubt you will.

Not because he does or doesn't want to play certain places, but because he wants to get the most money he can.

The hometown discount is supposed to even out the contender advantage that a team like New York (which may not even go after him) would have, but we still would have to match money.

And last time I checked, he's not going back to Georgia, and New York is at least suggesting they won't go for him (though obviously those comments should be scrutinized carefully as well), so he's quickly running out of places with family :laughlol:

To me, this really is going to be the #1 thing to watch...What exactly is the market for Tex?

Listening to Steve Phillips the other day, he was saying the market for him may not be what people think it will be.

I have been saying this for a while....I have no idea who is going to go after Tex but I will say I am much more fearful of the Mariners or Giants than i am of the Angels, Yanks or Red Sox.

I don't think Boston is going to push all that hard for him unless his contract stay unexpectedly low.

I think Anaheim may have bigger fish to fry, ie their rotation.

I think the Yankees are going to get CC and are going to make a push for Manny. They have a lot of guys that can play first and while I know Cashman has said he wants a true first baseman, it may not be in the cards quite yet because of the contracts of the guys he has and what their abilities are at this point.

I doubt you will.

The hometown discount is promoted by Media hounds and O's fans... Tex and/or his agent have never made comments that there is such a thing, and that if there is, it will have an affect on his decision. It is only speculation.

Both of these comments are opinion or speculation. As I said, you can read a comment and form an opinion, doesn't give it more relevence or value than any other interpetation. He elevated 2 cities he didn't root for as a fan or grow up in to the same level as Baltimore with regard to there being any hometown advantage. Could be propaganda, could mean what it says.

The hometown discount is promoted by Media hounds and O's fans... Tex and/or his agent have never made comments that there is such a thing, and that if there is, it will have an affect on his decision. It is only speculation.

Both of these comments are opinion or speculation. As I said, you can read a comment and form an opinion, doesn't give it more relevence or value than any other interpetation. He elevated 2 cities he didn't root for as a fan or grow up in to the same level as Baltimore with regard to their being any hometown advantage. Could be propaganda, could mean what it says.

He hasn't made comments on ANYTHING other than the bland ones that have been hashed and re-hashed around here for years already :laughlol:

What if he gets hurt? Later on in this thread, you mention spending 20 million on pitching. Well, Tex is far less likely to get hurt...The double standard is amazing and really makes no sense.

Please try to come up with stupider logic, my head isn't hurting enough yet.

$20MM on pitching split between several pitchers is obviously not going to break the bank when one pitcher gets hurt. $20MM on one player is going to require a government bailout when he goes down.

If success in 2009 comes at the detriment of success in 2010 and beyond, is it really worth it?

No, it absolutely isn't. Let me further respond to that by addressing this section of a previous post of yours:

We are building a team towards a goal a couple years away, and we need to be looking at filling a hole with a long-term answer every single chance we get.

No sensible person could argue with that premise. I just don't think that's the premise the Orioles' organization is fully operating under. I categorically do not believe they have the option of blowing off 2009 beyond a very limited degree. This requires them to balance the needs of 2009 with those of the years following even if the results are less satisfying than they would be if those decisions could be made in a vacuum - which they can't.

For the record, I don't think the Orioles will contend in 2009 regardless of the course they choose. Furthermore, what the roster looks like on opening day 2010 is the most interesting baseball question I've encountered in a long time and one that's considerably more important than next year's W-L record.

I really don't have a dog in the fight when it comes to debating the importance of being successful next year. My point is that the FO absolutely does, and our discussions are most meaningful when they take place within an understanding that that's the real context.

Please try to come up with stupider logic, my head isn't hurting enough yet.

$20MM on pitching split between several pitchers is obviously not going to break the bank when one pitcher gets hurt. $20MM on one player is going to require a government bailout when he goes down.

If you are spending 20 million on several pitchers, you aren't signing good pitchers.

No, it absolutely isn't. Let me further respond to that by addressing this section of a previous post of yours:

No sensible person could argue with that premise. I just don't think that's the premise the Orioles' organization is fully operating under. I categorically do not believe they have the option of blowing off 2009 beyond a very limited degree. This requires them to balance the needs of 2009 with those of the years following even if the results are less satisfying than they would be if those decisions could be made in a vacuum - which they can't.

For the record, I don't think the Orioles will contend in 2009 regardless of the course they choose. Furthermore, what the roster looks like on opening day 2010 is the most interesting baseball question I've encountered in a long time and one that's considerably more important than next year's W-L record.

I really don't have a dog in the fight when it comes to debating the importance of being successful next year. My point is that the FO absolutely does, and our discussions are most meaningful when they take place within an understanding that that's the real context.

You do know that you can sign Tex and trade for or sign pitching, right?

Not trying to be sarcastic here but it is amazing how people are thinking it is one or the other.

He hasn't made comments on ANYTHING other than the bland ones that have been hashed and re-hashed around here for years already :laughlol:

Yeah, quoting those comments as part of the basis of an opinion is certainly more flawed than just pulling it out of you a$$. :clap3:

We aren't talking about "blowing off" 2009. Signing Teixeira would provide a benefit to the team next season, and I'm sure would be promoted as such.

The point is that to simply look at next year, like so many seem to want to do by focusing on how poor the pitching is NOW and ignoring or putting aside other problems for the quick fix isn't the way to go.

As I said, in building a team you add pieces whenever you can. They may not be there, especially with reasonable cost, when you need them.

Archived