What do you think of Tyler Wells?

wildcard

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m blanking.   Who are you talking about?   Do you mean a Rule 5 guy?

Tyler Wells, the guy in the title of the thread you are in.

I guess he earned his way into the majors by not being deemed valuable enough by the Twins to be worth a spot on their 40 man.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes..you know the guy who the thread is about.  :)

But I’m talking about rule 5 guys in general.

Yeah, I guess I should have looked to see what thread I was in.

Bringing guys straight from A ball to the majors is far from ideal.   But that’s the way the rules are set up, so when you are trying to build depth in an organization by grabbing a decent prospect from another team, you do it even if you wouldn’t handle a similar player from your own organization that way.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I guess I should have looked to see what thread I was in.

Bringing guys straight from A ball to the majors is far from ideal.   But that’s the way the rules are set up, so when you are trying to build depth in an organization by grabbing a decent prospect from another team, you do it even if you wouldn’t handle a similar player from your own organization that way.  

I’m aware of why it’s done.

But the point remains the same.  We try to do everything we can to keep these marginal players on the ML roster, with little to no MiL experience, yet we are arguing over whether or not a 19 y/o tearing up A ball can move up a level.

The thought processes and principles aren’t consistent.  

Let’s put this another way.  I would get you could call up GRod and Adley today and they would be fine.  People would be scared to do that, especially with Rodriguez, but I’m guessing he could hold his own.  

I mean, Tyler Wells is holding his own (yes he is older but still), so I’m guessing Grayson could as well.

And yet, people Would probably freak out and say we are rushing Rodriguez.

And yes, I’m aware these are different players with different expectations but I’m talking about the basic principle of “rushing” (made up term).

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But the point remains the same.  We try to do everything we can to keep these marginal players on the ML roster, with little to no MiL experience, yet we are arguing over whether or not a 19 y/o tearing up A ball can move up a level.

Let’s put this another way.  I would get you could call up GRod and Adley today and they would be fine.  People would be scared to do that, especially with Rodriguez, but I’m guessing he could hold his own.  

I mean, Tyler Wells is holding his own (yes he is older but still), so I’m guessing Grayson could as well.

And yes, I’m aware these are different players with different expectations but I’m talking about the basic principle of “rushing” (made up term).

The thought process from the team is consistent.

The way the fans justify the team's action less so.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And my point is simply that bringing up Rodriguez now isn’t the ideal way to develop him or use his service time.   Do I think he’d survive the experience?   Sure.   I guarantee you that if he’d been subject to the Rule 5 draft some team would have claimed him.   Probably would have been first pick to go.   But I don’t think there’s any time inconsistency in putting one player in the majors because you have to, and not putting another guy in the majors because you don’t have to.    

Back to Wells, he’s certainly keeping his head above water and has a nice assortment of pitches.    He’s looking like a very good Rule 5 selection.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And my point is simply that bringing up Rodriguez now isn’t the ideal way to develop him or use his service time.   Do I think he’d survive the experience?   Sure.   I guarantee you that if he’d been subject to the Rule 5 draft some team would have claimed him.   Probably would have been first pick to go.   But I don’t think there’s any time inconsistency in putting one player in the majors because you have to, and not putting another guy in the majors because you don’t have to.    

Back to Wells, he’s certainly keeping his head above water and has a nice assortment of pitches.    He’s looking like a very good Rule 5 selection.  

Why isn’t it the ideal way to develop him?

You notice I said him And not Hall because Hall is still wild at times.

Grayson, by all accounts, has great command, several good pitches, is mature, etc...why would it hurt his development to bring him to the majors today?  

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why isn’t it the ideal way to develop him?

You notice I said him And not Hall because Hall is still wild at times.

Grayson, by all accounts, has great command, several good pitches, is mature, etc...why would it hurt his development to bring him to the majors today?  

It isn't that bit, it's the next bit.."or use his service time.".  Therein lies the rub.

I mean, with Rule 5 you have a chance to acquire a player from another team for free. At that point things like service time and the perfect player development trajectory aren't relevant. You grab the guy and try to make it work. Totally different situation than a top prospect like Rodriguez.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I mean, with Rule 5 you have a chance to acquire a player from another team for free. At that point things like service time and the perfect player development trajectory aren't relevant. You grab the guy and try to make it work. Totally different situation than a top prospect like Rodriguez.

But if a player who is generally seen as less talented can be challenged in such a fashion and do well why not use that approach with Rodriguez and accelerate his advancement? 

The answer is simple, service time manipulation.

Do you think the team is better with Rodriguez on it?  Do you think it would help or hinder Rodrizuez's career?

It isn't as if we are talking about something unprecedented.  He's 21.  Tons of guys have been pitching in the majors by 21.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But if a player who is generally seen as less talented can be challenged in such a fashion and do well why not use that approach with Rodriguez and accelerate his advancement? 

The answer is simple, service time manipulation.

Do you think the team is better with Rodriguez on it?  Do you think it would help or hinder Rodrizuez's career?

It isn't as if we are talking about something unprecedented.  He's 21.  Tons of guys have been pitching in the majors by 21.

Put it another way.

If a rule was in place that the player becomes a FA after their age 27 season, would we still be ok with GRod where he is now and waiting another year to bring him up?

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Put it another way.

If a rule was in place that the player becomes a FA after their age 27 season, would we still be ok with GRod where he is now and waiting another year to bring him up?

Of course not. 

I'm actively rooting for the players next year.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Of course not. 

I'm actively rooting for the players next year.

That was a question addressed to the audience, not necessarily YOU.

This is one of the many things in sports where it has “always been done this way”, therefore people accept it, don’t question it and act like it’s how you have to do it.

If different rules were in place, people would think differently.