Jordan Westburg 2021

UMDTerrapins

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Especially with Ortiz out for the year.  

That helps but doesn’t matter.  He was a college bat that many thought could be really good but underperformed in college.  You can argue that starting in Delmarva was wrong to begin with.

But it’s fine.  Get him to AA soon.  Give him a month or so there and just see how he adjusts.  If he can end up with a 750+ OPS in AA in a SSS this year, that’s a damn good end to the year.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

That helps but doesn’t matter.  He was a college bat that many thought could be really good but underperformed in college.  You can argue that starting in Delmarva was wrong to begin with.

But it’s fine.  Get him to AA soon.  Give him a month or so there and just see how he adjusts.  If he can end up with a 750+ OPS in AA in a SSS this year, that’s a damn good end to the year.

The issue may be the playing time at Bowie. Grenier is there and although Westburg is a priority play at SS over everyone right now (though sharing with Henderson), I think Genier has shown at at least defensively that he's a prospect and needs to play SS everyday. Grenier has been cold with the stick of late slashing .205/.333/.301/.635 so they may not think his stick is ready for AAA. At 3B they have Dorrian is a fringe prospect, but one that has put up a decent power and on base skills despite the low average. He's slashing .241/.378/.473/.851 and has improved his throwing of late from 3B. In theory you could send Dorrian to Norfolk and then promote Westburg and have Westburg play 3B when he's not playing SS and then move Grenier to 2B when he's playing SS. 

Right now they have playing time for everyone at the positions they want them.

Personally, I'd be fine with moving Dorrian to AAA and promoting Westburg to AA, but I will say that Grenier is the best defensive shortstop in the system and you want him playing SS almost every game.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The issue may be the playing time at Bowie. Grenier is there and although Westburg is a priority play at SS over everyone right now (though sharing with Henderson), I think Genier has shown at at least defensively that he's a prospect and needs to play SS everyday. Grenier has been cold with the stick of late slashing .205/.333/.301/.635 so they may not think his stick is ready for AAA. At 3B they have Dorrian is a fringe prospect, but one that has put up a decent power and on base skills despite the low average. He's slashing .241/.378/.473/.851 and has improved his throwing of late from 3B. In theory you could send Dorrian to Norfolk and then promote Westburg and have Westburg play 3B when he's not playing SS and then move Grenier to 2B when he's playing SS. 

Personally, I'd be fine with moving Dorrian to AAA and promoting Westburg to AA, but I will say that Grenier is the best defensive shortstop in the system and you want him playing SS almost every game.

Can’t Grenier go to AAA?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He could, but like I said, he's been slumping with the stick of late so it would not be a great time to move him up offensively. 

Ehh..I don’t really consider him much of a prospect anymore.  If he makes it to the majors, it will probably be because of his glove.  I don’t think it’s damaging to him to move him up.

Its far more important that Westburg gets moves and can play SS and if moving Grenier up, even while he is slumping, ensures that, so be it.

29 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

And what to do with Richie Martin will become an issue soon as well. Like Grenier, my expectations for him as a future piece are minimal. But he's gotta go somewhere. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That was a really odd hot streak he had earlier this season.

He is what he is at this point. Could he surprise still? I guess, but I wouldnt block anyone below him just so he can stay at SS.

36 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

And what to do with Richie Martin will become an issue soon as well. Like Grenier, my expectations for him as a future piece are minimal. But he's gotta go somewhere. 

Martin should be used like he could be used at the major league level, all over. If he's going to have a major league career, it's probably going to be as a utility guy.

19 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Personally I think Grenier's bat is cold enough that he shouldnt be blocking anyone else in the system.

Well, he’s cold now.   His overall .713 OPS isn’t horrible.   He started slowly, was hot for a while, now he’s cold.   The .713 closely mirrors his career .709, so that’s about who he is, I think.   Defense is very important at SS so I wouldn’t rule him out as a useful major leaguer if he’s our best defender there.   I’d like him to continue to play.   I agree with MurphDogg that he could share reps at 2B/SS with Westburg like he was doing with Ortiz.   

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, he’s cold now.   His overall .713 OPS isn’t horrible.   He started slowly, was hot for a while, now he’s cold.   The .713 closely mirrors his career .709, so that’s about who he is, I think.   Defense is very important at SS so I wouldn’t rule him out as a useful major leaguer if he’s our best defender there.   I’d like him to continue to play.   I agree with MurphDogg that he could share reps at 2B/SS with Westburg like he was doing with Ortiz.   

Richie Martin posted an .807 OPS in AA at 23. I dont think anything else needs to be said. Grenier shouldn't be sharing time or blocking SS.