2022 early look top prospects

18 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I'm curious to see what if any Mookie compare contrasts will ensue as Termarr's 2022 begins.   When I think of short players with incredible Hit tools and zone control, that's him.

Betts is currently 11th in Active players on the Batting Average leaderboard.

Top 5 - Miggy, Altuve, Trout, Trea, Cano

Next - Votto, LeMahieu, Blackmon, Brantley, Pujols....then Mookie

Since Termarr's eye is getting the early notice, Betts a little more than Altuve feels like the Hope for the Stars flavor.   Across 2014-2021, Betts is 29th of 443 (~93rd percentile) in Chase Rate, while Altuve is 333rd (~25th percentile).

Altuve?

29 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I'd say 7-8 years is a track record but I don't think you can talk about specific picks in absolutes.  It's fair to say that his track record suggests he won't be pitching heavy at the top of a draft.   

Is there any indication that he made the selections in Houston?

BTw, Correa was a top pick…Kyle Tucker was a high pick.  McCullers was a sandwich round pick. They also drafted Brady Aiken with a high first rounder.

So if you (not you you, just a general you) want to “credit” Elias with those picks, his track record definitely suggests he will take a HSer high.  

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Is there any indication that he made the selections in Houston?

BTw, Correa was a top pick…Kyle Tucker was a high pick.  McCullers was a sandwich round pick. They also drafted Brady Aiken with a high first rounder.

So if you (not you you, just a general you) want to “credit” Elias with those picks, his track record definitely suggests he will take a HSer high.  

There is a suggestion that he was the director of amateur scouting from 2011 or 2012 thru 2016 until he was promoted to assistant GM

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

There is a suggestion that he was the director of amateur scouting from 2011 or 2012 thru 2016 until he was promoted to assistant GM

But that doesn’t mean that he made the pick.  I’m sure his input was necessary and obviously valued but not sure he had the actual final call?

And again, even if he did, he drafted plenty of Hs kids high.

So, the track record question is either just wrong or it’s only looking at his time in the big seat here and the track record is too small of a sample size to say he wouldn’t take a HSer #1.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

But that doesn’t mean that he made the pick.  I’m sure his input was necessary and obviously valued but not sure he had the actual final call?

And again, even if he did, he drafted plenty of Hs kids high.

So, the track record question is either just wrong or it’s only looking at his time in the big seat here and the track record is too small of a sample size to say he wouldn’t take a HSer #1.

Is he making the actual picks here?  Technically speaking, it would be the scouting director.  Obviously Elias probably has final call on the first pick but you could argue that he doesn't actually make the picks after that.  Isn't Brad Ciolek the scouting director?  One would think the draft is his thing just as one would think Elias did most of the heavy lifting in Houston. 

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Is he making the actual picks here?  Technically speaking, it would be the scouting director.  Obviously Elias probably has final call on the first pick but you could argue that he doesn't actually make the picks after that.  Isn't Brad Ciolek the scouting director?  One would think the draft is his thing just as one would think Elias did most of the heavy lifting in Houston. 

My impression is that Elias still has a heavy say in the draft.   If you look at the titles, Ciolek is “Supervisor, Domestic Scouting Operations.”   Perez is a Senior Director, Matt Blood is a Director, Mike Snyder is Director of Pro Scouting.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My impression is that Elias still has a heavy say in the draft.   If you look at the titles, Ciolek is “Supervisor, Domestic Scouting Operations.”   Perez is a Senior Director, Matt Blood is a Director, Mike Snyder is Director of Pro Scouting.   

Heavy hand,yes.  The question is how much does he delegate.  Pretty clear, to me, that Koby Perez is in charge of Latin America signings.  The question is how much say does Ciolek have in the draft?

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Heavy hand,yes.  The question is how much does he delegate.  Pretty clear, to me, that Koby Perez is in charge of Latin America signings.  The question is how much say does Ciolek have in the draft?

His first draft here he didn't delegate at all. 

I think he will be extremely active in the next draft, more so than any of his peers are with their teams.

26 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Maybe he’s not…maybe he made them in Houston and not here.  Seems like he is very hands on in that role here though.

But that doesn’t change my point about the question asked.  He either has next to no track record or the track record states the opposite as the question posed.