2022 early look top prospects

We will see what changes between now and draft day, but as of now, I can’t see turning down “the best high school hitter I can ever remember,” especially when that guy can play the middle infield.   But, I’m not going to get too wedded to one candidate just now.   There’s a whole HS/college season to play before we have to make our choice.   

On 1/5/2022 at 6:58 PM, Paul in Virginia said:

2022 MLB Draft - Mock Draft 1.0 — Prospects Live

Has us taking Jones at 1.1.

I can't get over Termarr's body type and his little calves with meaty thighs and rear.  He doesn't even look like a 2B, much less a SS.  Just look at him in the short clip in the above link.  I really hope Jones (Druw or Brock) or Green has a great year.

• Upvote 1

If any of you are as bored as me in this cold-dead offseason, here is the list from FanGraphs about their views on the 2022 Draft, though it was from this past Fall/Winter I believe.

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2022-mlb-draft/summary?sort=-1,1&type=0

If you scroll to the right and click on the little black box under the report column you'll get a popup with their summaries. It's just an interesting (and far different) take compared to MLB.com's rosy interpretations. 

It would be nice to grab Jones #1 and then get pickup one of the SS that are rated right around the range of where our 2nd pick would be. 

I don’t like the idea of taking a 5’8” 2nd Basemen 1:1. Green is interesting but the bust potential is high. Seems like Bubba Starling 2.0. 

Jones seems like the safe pick even if we lock Mullins and Hays up long term. With the new LF at OPACY we need to load up on athletic OFs. 

Height Bias!!!   Joe Morgan wasn't a big guy.  Dustin Pedroia!   If Johnson is what they say he is, I'm ok.  I do understand the appeal of Jones though.

I also don't like the idea of drafting for need like we NEED to find a SS in this round or that round.

55 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Height Bias!!!   Joe Morgan wasn't a big guy.  Dustin Pedroia!   If Johnson is what they say he is, I'm ok.  I do understand the appeal of Jones though.

I also don't like the idea of drafting for need like we NEED to find a SS in this round or that round.

This guy is huge compared to Altuve.   

I really don’t care much about height at all.   I care how well he hits and defends, and I care about his leadership qualities etc.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This guy is huge compared to Altuve.   

I really don’t care much about height at all.   I care how well he hits and defends, and I care about his leadership qualities etc.

People are talking about 2B like it's not a premium position.   I'll take an offensive 2B who is average defensively at 2B (not saying that Johnson can't be above or below average).

I can’t get the following quote out of my head from prospects live:

A majority of evaluators in this industry really, truly believe this is an extraordinary bat with perennial all-star upside. When folks say it’s the best high school bat in two decades, they’re not being hyperbolic.”

if our scouts feel the same way about Temarr after this Spring, I hope to God that he is our pick. 
2nd base or no, short of stature or no. 

“The best bat in two decades”,  you’ve got to go with that in my opinion.