2022 early look top prospects

10 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I like the strategy of taking the best bat at the lowest price this year. As of now, there doesn’t seem to be a clear choice at #1. Might as well get one of the contenders for top pick while saving money to pick up over slots later. 

What does best bat at the lowest price mean?

Which is it, do you want the best bat or the guy that you can get for the cheapest?

Of course you want the best player possible.  Of course you want to sign him for as little as possible.

Following this weekend's NCAA openers, looks like IMG Academy opens Tuesday night, and we'll start to see how those nursery rhymes about Elijah Green's swing and miss match up with his 12th grade self.

https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/img-academy-ascenders-(bradenton,fl)/baseball/schedule.htm

I am guessing Termarr Johnson and Druw Jones' high schools don't have quite the digital footprint of IMG Academy but trust that anyone with an iPhone will start getting video out sometime in the next couple weeks.

https://gopoly.com/sports/baseball/stats/2022/washington/boxscore/6090

Brooks Lee's opening night box score.   A hit and an error, and he did play SS for his team.

I loosely think NCAA Lee and Delauter, and the three high school guys are the inner circle.   I've heard some buzz on the Virginia Tech guy, but will leave it to the Hokies around here to scrape any news on him.

4 hours ago, waroriole said:

I like the strategy of taking the best bat at the lowest price this year. As of now, there doesn’t seem to be a clear choice at #1. Might as well get one of the contenders for top pick while saving money to pick up over slots later. 

The key phrase in your post is “as of now.”    There easily could be a clear choice by June.   And besides, even if there is no consensus, that doesn’t mean there isn’t a “clear choice” in the eyes of Elias and his staff.   

On 2/19/2022 at 5:08 PM, Frobby said:

The key phrase in your post is “as of now.”    There easily could be a clear choice by June.   And besides, even if there is no consensus, that doesn’t mean there isn’t a “clear choice” in the eyes of Elias and his staff.   

There could be. On paper none of them get me excited about having the #1 pick. If Johnson could play SS or Greene had a better hit tool. That doesn’t seem like the kind of thing to change until June. Of course there could be someone we’re not even talking about come out of nowhere to be the obvious choice. 

I’m just saying I’m not gonna be upset with the philosophy of spreading the money around later in the draft. 

Just now, waroriole said:

There could be. On paper none of them get me excited about having the #1 pick. If Johnson could play SS or Greene had a better hit tool. That doesn’t seem like the kind of thing to change until June. Of course there could be someone we’re not even talking about come out of nowhere to be the obvious choice. 

I’m just saying I’m not gonna be upset with the philosophy of spreading the money around later in the draft. 

If Johnson could play SS he'd be an all time draft prospect.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If Johnson could play SS he'd be an all time draft prospect.

Honestly, I’m fine with having a plus defensive 2B with a 70 hit tool and 65-70 power and excellent plate discipline.   Sounds like something between Dustin Pedroia and Joe Morgan.   I’d sign up for that in a heartbeat.   But like I said, let’s play the 2022 college/high school season and then worry about it.   

• Upvote 4

Berry will hit a ton and is a switch hitter who hits for average and power from both sides, so that is quite appealing.   But, as many have pointed out, he offers no defensive value and some think he is strictly a 1B/DH.   

And he hit 2 HR against Maine, who probably doesn't have top pitching....

11 hours ago, DocJJ said:

Berry will hit a ton and is a switch hitter who hits for average and power from both sides, so that is quite appealing.   But, as many have pointed out, he offers no defensive value and some think he is strictly a 1B/DH.   

And he hit 2 HR against Maine, who probably doesn't have top pitching....

No, but they have a helluva back-up catcher.   (Inside joke.)