2022 early look top prospects

Green's contact is not as bad as you think.   Sure, there may be a little more swing and miss in his game than some other guys, but it's nowhere near as bad as people are saying.   And no player in the draft has his combination of speed, power, defense, arm, defense., not even close.   

Personally, I think if you are picking #1 overall, you have to take someone who has ZERO questions and I think there's enough concern about the swing and miss that I don't think you can risk the top pick.   But it's entirely possible 5 years from now he's the best player in the game and we are kicking ourselves for passing....

I'm still bullish on Termarr and hope we take him.

Chase Delauter, Brooks Lee, Carter Young, really slow out of the gate, though it's only 3 games.   Let's check back in a few weeks and see who's heating up...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DocJJ said:

Green's contact is not as bad as you think.   Sure, there may be a little more swing and miss in his game than some other guys, but it's nowhere near as bad as people are saying.   And no player in the draft has his combination of speed, power, defense, arm, defense., not even close.   

Personally, I think if you are picking #1 overall, you have to take someone who has ZERO questions and I think there's enough concern about the swing and miss that I don't think you can risk the top pick.   But it's entirely possible 5 years from now he's the best player in the game and we are kicking ourselves for passing....

Chase Delauter, Brooks Lee, Carter Young, really slow out of the gate, though it's only 3 games.   Let's check back in a few weeks and see who's heating up...

Wow.

First game of year, he hits a Grand Slam with EV 109- and I don't think he even got all of it...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DocJJ said:

Is he that good on defense?

Kiley McDaniel came out with his draft list 1.0 today and put Jones 1 and Johnson 2.    He really sees it as a coin flip though: 

“there's the toss-up at the top of the draft, with Jones and Termarr Johnson (both Atlanta-area prep products) as the current leaders.

in my recent minor league top 100 prospects, Jones and Johnson are both 55 FVs right now (23-50 on the recent top 100) with a real shot to land in the 60 FV tier (4-22) by draft time. 

The top spot is basically a toss-up right now, depending on the sort of prospect you prefer, and I flipped these two in the past week; I might again after I check in later this month on them both.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/33354270/kiley-mcdaniel-2022-mlb-draft-rankings-10

The rest of his top 5 are Green, Berry and Lee.

• Upvote 1

Jones over Johnson.  Right now, that’s a pretty easy decision for me.

3. Elijah Green, CF, IMG Academy HS (FL), Miami commit

Green has the most eye-popping tools we've seen in some time: 70 raw power, speed and arm strength on the right day, all at 6-foot-3, 225 pounds. That's in a conversation with Jasson Dominguez, Justin Upton and other lofty names in terms of raw tools on an amateur player.

He has had some off-and-on contact issues but has come out hot this spring. He hit a home run with 109 mph exit velocity in an early-season tourney and has shown a simplified swing that should help solve that contact problem.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Jones over Johnson.  Right now, that’s a pretty easy decision for me.

3. Elijah Green, CF, IMG Academy HS (FL), Miami commit

Green has the most eye-popping tools we've seen in some time: 70 raw power, speed and arm strength on the right day, all at 6-foot-3, 225 pounds. That's in a conversation with Jasson Dominguez, Justin Upton and other lofty names in terms of raw tools on an amateur player.

He has had some off-and-on contact issues but has come out hot this spring. He hit a home run with 109 mph exit velocity in an early-season tourney and has shown a simplified swing that should help solve that contact problem.

Take the guy with the bloodline.   The fact that he is Andrew Jones' son raises his floor.