2022 early look top prospects

1 hour ago, RVAOsFan said:

Just looking strictly at mlb.com grades and overall top 100 rankings from this link it looks like Jones could go straight to the top of the rankings with guys graduating to the majors this year.  Would be wild to graduate Adley and draft / replace him with Jones as the number 1 ranked prospect in baseball.

That seems extreme.  Were Harper or Strasburg ranked #1 after being drafted?

2 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

Just looking strictly at mlb.com grades and overall top 100 rankings from this link it looks like Jones could go straight to the top of the rankings with guys graduating to the majors this year.  Would be wild to graduate Adley and draft / replace him with Jones as the number 1 ranked prospect in baseball.

You'd rank Jones over Grayson?  😉

38 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

That seems extreme.  Were Harper or Strasburg ranked #1 after being drafted?

Essentially, yes.   Strasburg was drafted in 2009, played in the AFL and was ranked no. 2 by BA, no. 1 by BP in their 2010 preseason lists.  Harper was drafted in 2010, played in the AFL and was ranked no. 1 by BA and BP in their 2011 preseason lists.   Best as I recall, in those days these lists weren’t updated as frequently as now.  I don’t know that there were any official midseason lists that were published shortly after the draft.  

I doubt Jones will start that high, though.  

58 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You'd rank Jones over Grayson?  😉

I was looking at it from the angle of all the guys mlb.com has graduating to the majors in 2022 being removed from the rankings.  Jones ranked at overall 65 would be the highest ranked prospect. 

6 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I was looking at it from the angle of all the guys mlb.com has graduating to the majors in 2022 being removed from the rankings.  Jones ranked at overall 65 would be the highest ranked prospect. 

I was implying that Elias won't promote Grayson early enough for him to lose his prospect status.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was implying that Elias won't promote Grayson early enough for him to lose his prospect status.

I will be extremely surprised if Grayson is still in the minors on draft day.  However, it takes 45 days to lose prospect status.  So you are almost undoubtedly right he’ll still be considered a prospect on draft day.   

Andruw and Druw give kind of a contrast affiliating internationally or domestically.

Andruw 4.23.1977 during his Age-18 season in 1995 spent it all in the Sally and OPS'd 884 with 25 HR and 56 SB.   The next year he had a 1250 OPS in 20 World Series plate appearances.

Druw 11.28.2003 will maybe get to Delmarva at ~18.7 years of age.

Good luck keeping up with Dad, kid.

3 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Honestly... I wouldn't be upset if Elias selected 100% pitchers this year. 

Select twenty pitchers in the draft, and six years later all you've got is a #5 starter, one middle reliever, and half a dozen Tommy John surgeries.  

9 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Andruw and Druw give kind of a contrast affiliating internationally or domestically.

Andruw 4.23.1977 during his Age-18 season in 1995 spent it all in the Sally and OPS'd 884 with 25 HR and 56 SB.   The next year he had a 1250 OPS in 20 World Series plate appearances.

Druw 11.28.2003 will maybe get to Delmarva at ~18.7 years of age.

Good luck keeping up with Dad, kid.

With the draft being moved to the middle of July, I would be surprised to see Druw in Delmarva. 

13 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

You should be considering there may not even be a pitcher worth taking in the top 10, much less the first pick.

I was mostly kidding. I'm just worried that Elias will choose another 18 shortstops and centerfielders

The more I hear people, McDaniel, Law, Callis, Hoefer, etc. talk about Jones, the harder it is to believe that they'll pass on him.  I hope not.  They can play it straight with slots and still have a great draft but they need to go BPA at 1:1, even if it's full slot or close.