2022 early look top prospects

Have heard the two HS kids - Johnson and Jones - have started to separate themselves a bit. Also that there might be a significant gap between the top HS players and college guys - Lee, Jung and Cross from VA Tech. Lots of questions on DeLauter's swing mechanics but he's 6'4" 240, big power and ran a 6.44 this fall.

14 hours ago, calsmanystances said:

I think we can ask the same question for Brooks Lee. Cal Poly plays in the Big West Conference.

As far as I can tell, he played 6 games against a big conference opponent: 3 against USC (they finished with a losing record) and 3 against UCLA. The rest of his schedule was:

Nevada

Utah Valley

Cal State Northridge

UC San Diego

San Jose State

Long Beach State

UC Irvine

UC Riverside

UC Santa Barbara

CSU Bakersfield

Cal State Fullerton

UC Davis

Hawaii

Lee walked only 18 times last year in approximately 250 PA. If there's any questions about his ability to remain at SS, that would be an additional concern.

I’m not a college baseball expert, but putting aside the power conferences, I think it’s generally true that California collegiate baseball is more competitive than East Coast collegiate baseball (with maybe Florida excepted).

That said, Elias has tools like Trackman, etc. he can use to help put the performance of these guys who play in lesser conferences into perspective.   He’s not just looking at their stat lines or relying on someone else’s scouting report.   I have confidence he can evaluate a DeLauter or a Lee and get a good handle on them.   

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m not a college baseball expert, but putting aside the power conferences, I think it’s generally true that California collegiate baseball is more competitive than East Coast collegiate baseball (with maybe Florida excepted).

That said, Elias has tools like Trackman, etc. he can use to help put the performance of these guys who play in lesser conferences into perspective.   He’s not just looking at their stat lines or relying on someone else’s scouting report.   I have confidence he can evaluate a DeLauter or a Lee and get a good handle on them.   

Cal Poly's strength of scheduled was ranked 233rd (Cal Poly baseball schedule scores and stats | D1baseball.com)

6 hours ago, bmor34 said:

Have heard the two HS kids - Johnson and Jones - have started to separate themselves a bit. Also that there might be a significant gap between the top HS players and college guys - Lee, Jung and Cross from VA Tech. Lots of questions on DeLauter's swing mechanics but he's 6'4" 240, big power and ran a 6.44 this fall.

I just looked up some video on him and that swing is FUNKY.  His back foot actually comes off the ground and he kind of slaps at the ball.  No idea how he has so much power. A testament to his strength and hand-eye coordination. 

On 11/19/2021 at 2:07 PM, joelala said:

I just looked up some video on him and that swing is FUNKY.  His back foot actually comes off the ground and he kind of slaps at the ball.  No idea how he has so much power. A testament to his strength and hand-eye coordination. 

There’s this guy you might have heard of whose back foot comes off the ground during his swing too. His name is Bryce Harper. (Actually it’s a lot more common than you’d think)

• 2 weeks later...

Elsewhere in today's chat, Longenhagen shared a crosschecker gave him some grief for putting a 5'8" second baseman #1 on his board, which is enough as this year's horserace begins for me to understand Termarr Johnson as the "Altuve-adjacent" one, alongside Andruw Jones and Eric Green's kids, and of course our beloved polished college bats with #Data!

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:
12:33
zurzles: With all the high ceiling HS talent at the top of 2022, do you think the Orioles are still going to stick with a college bat at 1.1?

12:34
Eric A Longenhagen: I actually think that, if they agree Termarr is in a tier of his own, that they’ll take him.

Interesting, that’s the first time I’ve seen  Termarr Johnson ranked no. 1, much less described as being in a “tier of his own.”   For context, right now Longenhagen grades him a 50, with the next tier at 45+.   In the past, at draft time Rutschman was a 60, Torkelson a 55, and he’s ranked a bunch of guys at 50 including Kjerstad and Cowser.   So I wouldn’t get too caught up in that “tier of his own” comment just yet.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Interesting, that’s the first time I’ve seen  Termarr Johnson ranked no. 1, much less described as being in a “tier of his own.”   For context, right now Longenhagen grades him a 50, with the next tier at 45+.   In the past, at draft time Rutschman was a 60, Torkelson a 55, and he’s ranked a bunch of guys at 50 including Kjerstad and Cowser.   So I wouldn’t get too caught up in that “tier of his own” comment just yet.  

As a high school second baseman he'd have to be clearly the top of the class to go 1-1.  Don't often see guys drafted as second baseman go early.