GREAT NEWS!!! Kim gains eligibility

markpolis

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't presume to know the answer to that question, because I don't have the information.

Bterp, you don't have the information, but you have no problems taking up for Gary anytime a problem is shown do you?

Honestly, this is what gets me about you GW supporters. You have an excuse for everything and when you don't, you just ignore that the problem exists or take on some opinion that Gary can somehow fix it even though he's the one that created it in the first place. You have nothing to go off of but blind optimism.

I understand fandom, but like the Billick fans, I'll never understand why some people don't reach a point where they go, "Hey, this is not working, we probably need to try something else."

Being a coach is not supposed to be a lifetime endeavor. Williams got a lot of security for a magical run that ended up with Juan Dixon cutting down a net. I have no problem with him going down as the guy who turned the program around, but I rather him not have to go out as the guy who returned the program to the same crappy state, and that's the way this program is heading.

There is no reason for Maryland to not be perrenial top 20 basketball team with the facilities and the area talent. Anyone who shoots for less is underselling what could be in my opinion.

Did anyone bother to read the Washington Post article from the other day? Kim had to withdraw from school to return to Korea after his shoulder surgery (as per his insurance company) and therefore could not complete his academic work at South Kent Prep, making it necessary to finish his requirements via the internet (as he was already set to reclass). How that becomes Gary Williams' fault, I'm not entirely sure. Unfortunately, there exists a segment of every fanbase which will blame one individual for everything that goes wrong in the program, even if, as in this case, nothing actually goes wrong.

Honestly, this is what gets me about you GW supporters. You have an excuse for everything and when you don't, you just ignore that the problem exists or take on some opinion that Gary can somehow fix it even though he's the one that created it in the first place. You have nothing to go off of but blind optimism.
This is just not true, Tony. Most of us are fully aware of the problems that are facing the program, and even put most of the blame for the program going from a Final 4 contender to a NIT team on Gary's shoulders. I don't know who this made up person you are constantly comparing all of the Gary supporters to is, but its certainly not the vast majority of the people who still want Gary as the coach at Maryland.

Gary has done a poor job since the National Championship season. He hasn't had the level of success either on the court or recruiting that this program should have.

The difference is that while you think he's no longer capable of getting things done, many others think he still can be, and , the real argument, is still the best person possible to get things back on the right track. The argument that Gary can fix the problems he has created isn't based on "blind optimism" but on the clear track record Gary has of building strong programs out of struggling ones.

If you want to attack the position that Gary can still be a successful coach, go ahead, but I think its frankly insulting for you to constantly lump in everybody on here who doesn't want to fire into some made up group of Gary Williams supporters who think everything he does is great.

This is just not true, Tony. Most of us are fully aware of the problems that are facing the program, and even put most of the blame for the program going from a Final 4 contender to a NIT team on Gary's shoulders. I don't know who this made up person you are constantly comparing all of the Gary supporters to is, but its certainly not the vast majority of the people who still want Gary as the coach at Maryland.

Gary has done a poor job since the National Championship season. He hasn't had the level of success either on the court or recruiting that this program should have.

The difference is that while you think he's no longer capable of getting things done, many others think he still can be, and , the real argument, is still the best person possible to get things back on the right track. The argument that Gary can fix the problems he has created isn't based on "blind optimism" but on the clear track record Gary has of building strong programs out of struggling ones.

If you want to attack the position that Gary can still be a successful coach, go ahead, but I think its frankly insulting for you to constantly lump in everybody on here who doesn't want to fire into some made up group of Gary Williams supporters who think everything he does is great.

Insulting, but all too common.

Mack, honestly, I don't see how you can say he's been a poor coach since the National Championship and not want him gone. Maybe that's the big difference between our opinions in this matter. You are accepting of mediocrity and/or have an amazing amount of tolerance for a coach who clearly rested on his laurels once he won the championship instead of working even harder to keep his program among the elite.

I have used hyperbole in this discussion to spark a response, but the biggest difference is I'm a guy who has patience, but when you prove to me time and time again that you have not given your best effort or that things are not working, then I want someone else.

It was the same way with Billick for me. I'll be the first to admit it annoys me when people make excuses or don't accept the blame. Part of my core beliefs in life is that you take responsibility for your actions and as my old High School Baseball coach used to say, "Excuses are for losers." :D

Mack, honestly, I don't see how you can say he's been a poor coach since the National Championship and not want him gone. Maybe that's the big difference between our opinions in this matter. You are accepting of mediocrity and/or have an amazing amount of tolerance for a coach who clearly rested on his laurels once he won the championship instead of working even harder to keep his program among the elite.

I have used hyperbole in this discussion to spark a response, but the biggest difference is I'm a guy who has patience, but when you prove to me time and time again that you have not given your best effort or that things are not working, then I want someone else.

It was the same way with Billick for me. I'll be the first to admit it annoys me when people make excuses or don't accept the blame. Part of my core beliefs in life is that you take responsibility for your actions and as my old High School Baseball coach used to say, "Excuses are for losers." :D

I am not accepting of mediocrity. I just still think Gary will do a better job than anybody else at restoring the program to where it should be. I want the best coach possible at Maryland, even if he has gone through a bit of a rough patch over the last few years, I still think Gary is that guy. I'm not ignoring his flaws or giving him a lifetime pass, just realistic in my assessment of his abilities and his drive to get this program back to where it needs to be. He's far better a coach than anybody I think we'd bring in if we fired him, and we'll get back on top quicker and reach higher with him in charge than we will with anybody else.

I am not accepting of mediocrity. I just still think Gary will do a better job than anybody else at restoring the program to where it should be. I want the best coach possible at Maryland, even if he has gone through a bit of a rough patch over the last few years, I still think Gary is that guy. I'm not ignoring his flaws or giving him a lifetime pass, just realistic in my assessment of his abilities and his drive to get this program back to where it needs to be. He's far better a coach than anybody I think we'd bring in if we fired him, and we'll get back on top quicker and reach higher with him in charge than we will with anybody else.

He is probably a good coach, but college bball is based on recruiting. He has never shown the ability to consitently land big time recruits. His national championship season was formed around a group of guys who weren't recruited hard nationally, and GREATLY exceeded expectations. He's halfway between 2 recruiting hot beds, and he consitently misses the boat. There are a ton of guys out there who know the "X's and O's". But, there aren't that many who can land big name talent year in, and year out. The Terps need someone who can do both. That's what top programs have, and MD should be a top program. Right now, they are an afterthought in the NCAA basketball world. And that's a joke.

He's not landing big time talent. He has an abysmal graduation rate. He's turned a National Champ into a perennial early exit in the NIT. I just don't see how you can say that there aren't other guys who could turn this around faster. He's not doing anything to turn it around.

How can you say this definitively? Every potential great coach needs a chance and there are tons of good coaches coaching smaller programs that may just need an opportunity. I'm not an expert on who they are, but I think it's unreasonable to suggest that no one could do a better job than Williams.

How can you say this definitively? Every potential great coach needs a chance and there are tons of good coaches coaching smaller programs that may just need an opportunity. I'm not an expert on who they are, but I think it's unreasonable to suggest that no one could do a better job than Williams.
I'm not saying its definitive, but its what I think. I haven't heard anyone name any potential candidate who would come here that I'd be more confidant in than Gary.

Not many coaches can take a team from the depths of the sport to a national championship :)

I'm worried about getting onto the coaching carausel and going around with a new coach every few years. That would be far worse then anything we are going through as a program now.

Tony's right, you have a very selective memory.....ever hear of Lefty Driesell?

In a 15 year period Lefty finished in the top 11 of the coaches poll 8 times!! He had 12 first team All Americans. He might have won a national championship had the NCAA taken more than one team per conference during the beginning of his run.

Can you name another premier program beyond UNLV that had success such as MD had under Lefty, was placed on probation and then didn't come back??? This is and always will be a premier program due to the market, conference, access to recruiting, funding and facilities. GW just brought it back to where it should be. BTW he was left with some very good talent after Wade left-look it up.

I'm not saying fire GW but let's have a little perspective. What is the basis for your concern over a coaching carousel, Md has been one of the 5 most stable positions in the country with only 3 coaches over the past 40 years.

UPI AP

1971-72 27-5 8-4 11 14 Lefty Driesell NIT Champion

1972-73 23-7 7-5 10 8 Lefty Driesell NCAA Elite 8

1973-74 23-5 9-3 4 4 Lefty Driesell -

1974-75 24-5 10-2 5 5 Lefty Driesell NCAA Elite 8

1975-76 22-6 7-5 11 13 Lefty Driesell -

1976-77 19-8 7-5 - - Lefty Driesell -

1977-78 15-13 3-9 - - Lefty Driesell -

1978-79 19-11 6-6 - - Lefty Driesell NIT

1979-80 24-7 11-3 8 8 Lefty Driesell NCAA Sweet 16

1980-81 21-10 8-6 11 18 Lefty Driesell NCAA 2nd Round

1981-82 16-13 5-9 - - Lefty Driesell NIT

1982-83 20-10 8-6 - - Lefty Driesell NCAA 2nd Round

1983-84 24-8 9-5 10 11 Lefty Driesell NCAA Sweet 16

Not many coaches can take a team from the depths of the sport to a national championship :)

I'm worried about getting onto the coaching carausel and going around with a new coach every few years. That would be far worse then anything we are going through as a program now.

He is probably a good coach, but college bball is based on recruiting. He has never shown the ability to consitently land big time recruits. His national championship season was formed around a group of guys who weren't recruited hard nationally, and GREATLY exceeded expectations. He's halfway between 2 recruiting hot beds, and he consitently misses the boat. There are a ton of guys out there who know the "X's and O's". But, there aren't that many who can land big name talent year in, and year out. The Terps need someone who can do both. That's what top programs have, and MD should be a top program. Right now, they are an afterthought in the NCAA basketball world. And that's a joke.

He's not landing big time talent. He has an abysmal graduation rate. He's turned a National Champ into a perennial early exit in the NIT. I just don't see how you can say that there aren't other guys who could turn this around faster. He's not doing anything to turn it around.

Good post. As I've said before there is no doubt in my mind a new coach can and probably will land better talent than what Gary has been bringing in. At this point I agree with you in that I'll take a coach who is an unknown quality when it comes to X's and O's but that can recruit top talent over Gary who we know is good at the X's and O's but is a very poor recruiter.

I understand that in general people are conservative and afraid of change. They see what Gary has done over most of his 20 years here and say that is good enough. The consecutive tourny appearances, the numerous sweet 16 appearances, the two final fours and NC. Gary deserves a lot of praise and credit for acomplishing what he has done here at Maryland. The problem is Gary wasn't and isn't going to be the guy to take advantage of the NC and the Comcast Center and push this program higher than where he had it in the '90s. Gary has set expectations so low in recent years that being that consistent tourny team with the ability to make a sweet 16 run is going to be worthy of praise when it is simply getting the program back to where it was in the 90's.

If the next coach uses all of his resources and works hard he will have a very good opportunity to do a better job than Gary. He should be able to bring in better talent and make this program consistently better. I don't think people realize just how poorly Gary has done post National Championship and how much better this program can be. That said, I agree with the people who say that you can't have Gary thrown under a bus and leave on bad terms. A lot of coaches respect him and having him fired or leaving on bad terms would probably hurt our chances of bringing in the guy we want. Ideally, Gary in the next few years gets the program back on track and back to being a consistent tourny team and he goes out with his head held high and with the program looking up again.

I think we're selling Baxter, Blake, Dixon, etc. a little short. They were still very good recruits with borderline NBA talent. And before that he had Hipp, Booth, etc.

In my opinion, this is the first stretch during his tenure at MD that he really failed this thoroughly on a recruiting level. He may never land the Carmelos but I don't think he needs to. There are a lot of good to great athletes that he can turn into ballers with his ability to coach, and these are the players that he needs to get back to acquiring. He's clearly failed in this regard in recent years, but I believe pretty strongly that it's a blip.

I also believe that, between the Gilchrist/McCray fiascoes, some of his key assistants leaving, and his icy relationship with Yow, his ability to recruit solidly is being hampered. All those things combine for a lot of ammo that competing schools can use against him in attempting to woo players. It's possible that he can't overcome these issues. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for at least a couple more years.

I also disagree with the assertion that we're blinded by the Gary Williams kool-aid. Maybe some of us are, but as Mackus pointed out, most of us recognize his faults. The difference (at least for me) is that I believe that Williams has the ability to fix his own problems. He's fixed far more serious problems in the past (albeit ones he inherited), so I think we should give him the chance to do it now. If he fails to turn it around within the next couple years, then maybe it will be time to give him the axe, but not now.

Archived