Bowden looks at potential Yankee deals: Mullins to NY?

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The timing of the Manny trade really hurt the return.  Just not that many teams that needed a SS/3B that could afford to add his salary.  Everyone knew the O's had to trade him.

Agreed the O's waited too long on trading Manny when the window passed to sign him to an early extension. Manny should have been traded after 2016 to maximize his return if the ownership was never going to make a serious attempt to extend him. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Agreed the O's waited too long on trading Manny when the window passed to sign him to an early extension. Manny should have been traded after 2016 to maximize his return if the ownership was never going to make a serious attempt to extend him. 

Or even before the 2018 season.  That way the team trading for Manny would know they could at least recoup a first round pick if he walked.

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I don't think his age matters much in terms of return as he would be under team control through his age 30 season. If he was 28, it might be a factor, but he still is under team control only through his prime, not beyond it

Mullins will be on the wrong side of 30 when he hits free agency, but that is his problem, not the Orioles (or the Yankees, in this hypothetical).

As far as the other part, I am simply saying what everyone else is saying, that it only makes sense to trade Mullins if you get an offer that blows you away, one that assumes that this season is his new normal. And I agree with you that they won't get that offer, thus he won't be traded.

Well, I don’t think you need to be blown away.  I just don’t even think a good offer will be there. 

I would take a good offer.

5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

What do you define as a good offer?

Could be a lot of things.  Something like Baumann and Mayo.

Ie, a close to ready, potentially  solid ML piece and a young lottery ticket with a high ceiling.

But there are a lot of variations.

No one has to be a top 100 guy though.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Could be a lot of things.  Something like Baumann and Mayo.

Ie, a close to ready, potentially  solid ML piece and a young lottery ticket with a high ceiling.

But there are a lot of variations.

No one has to be a top 100 guy though.

I wouldn't take that.

I think there is a better chance that Mullins is a 3 WAR centerfielder going forward than either Baumann or Mayo becoming 3 WAR players and a 25 percent chance that Baumann and Mayo don't contribute at all, and Mullins is at worst a great 4th outfielder on a contending team. 

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Hays is plenty good enough to play CF. Now will Hays ever be healthy enough play to 140 games in a season is a valid question to ask. 

Yeah, my issue with Hays is that he’s made of glass. 

8 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

Would anyone do Mullins for Florial straight up?

Absolutely not. Mullins right now is Florial's 80-90 percent outcome. Florial's floor is a non-MLB player.

Florial can't hit breaking pitches.

And if the Yankees were to offer Florial for Mullins, that would be akin to admitting that they know he isn't going to reach his ceiling.