Bowden looks at potential Yankee deals: Mullins to NY?

Sports Guy

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or even before the 2018 season.  That way the team trading for Manny would know they could at least recoup a first round pick if he walked.

My recollection is that they actively shopped Manny in the winter of 2017-18 but didn’t like the trade proposals they got.   Whether the return at the deadline was better is anyone’s guess.   

10 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Absolutely not. Mullins right now is Florial's 80-90 percent outcome. Florial's floor is a non-MLB player.

Florial can't hit breaking pitches.

And if the Yankees were to offer Florial for Mullins, that would be akin to admitting that they know he isn't going to reach his ceiling.

I agree that I wouldn't make that trade. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

My recollection is that they actively shopped Manny in the winter of 2017-18 but didn’t like the trade proposals they got.   Whether the return at the deadline was better is anyone’s guess.   

Yep, no way to know.  Theoretically the promise of a guaranteed first round pick would have sweetened the offers.

3 minutes ago, andrewochs615 said:

Bring on Jasson Dominguez

kidding...

not kidding

Maybe that's just what the Yankees will do.   0 levels of minors even better than 4 - they'll do it all in Tampa.    I'm surprised Bowden didn't play both sides of the New York pander here by highlighting the Mets too, but I suppose the Yankees are in their own tier.

It will be interesting to see if OF-needy teams give Elias any deals he can accept on the Stewart, McKenna, Yusniel level guys, if the Orioles view is Mullins and Hays' progress has gotten them above that fray like Santander.

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

June 15, 1976: Traded by the New York Yankees: Rick Dempsey, Tippy Martinez, Rudy May, Scott McGregorand Dave Pagan to the Baltimore Orioles for Doyle Alexander, Jimmy Freeman, Elrod Hendricks, Ken Holtzman and Grant Jackson.

Enough said.

I know I am dating myself, but was there anything likeable about Doyle Alexander?  Asking for a friend.

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

June 15, 1976: Traded by the New York Yankees: Rick Dempsey, Tippy Martinez, Rudy May, Scott McGregorand Dave Pagan to the Baltimore Orioles for Doyle Alexander, Jimmy Freeman, Elrod Hendricks, Ken Holtzman and Grant Jackson.

Enough said.

I know I am dating myself, but was there anything likeable about Doyle Alexander?  Asking for a friend.

Sorry - wasn't discussing his career, which was very successful.  This is along the lines of what I remember (1987 article, which, lacking computer skills, I am unable to properly post).  I am totally off topic, and apologize.

TORONTO -- He has been called a flake, a jerk, a disruptive influence, a malcontent and an insensitive loner. But that's only April through August.

In September, Doyle Alexander is a pitcher. Period.

That's all the Detroit Tigers know him as. So what if his less-than-warm personality has caused problems in other places in other seasons. This is September, the Tigers are in a heated pennant race with the Toronto Blue Jays, and Alexander is 8-0 with a 1.40 ERA since arriving from Atlanta a month ago.

If Alexander's people skills are lacking, the Tigers haven't noticed. Because all that matters now is winning, everyone is getting along just fine with Alexander.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HbgOsFan said:

Sorry - wasn't discussing his career, which was very successful.  This is along the lines of what I remember (1987 article, which, lacking computer skills, I am unable to properly post).  I am totally off topic, and apologize.

TORONTO -- He has been called a flake, a jerk, a disruptive influence, a malcontent and an insensitive loner. But that's only April through August.

In September, Doyle Alexander is a pitcher. Period.

That's all the Detroit Tigers know him as. So what if his less-than-warm personality has caused problems in other places in other seasons. This is September, the Tigers are in a heated pennant race with the Toronto Blue Jays, and Alexander is 8-0 with a 1.40 ERA since arriving from Atlanta a month ago.

If Alexander's people skills are lacking, the Tigers haven't noticed. Because all that matters now is winning, everyone is getting along just fine with Alexander.

Not everyone is concerned with making friends at work.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not everyone is concerned with making friends at work.

I'm sure you'd know from experience.

IIRC, the Tigers traded Smoltz to Atlanta in the Doyle Alexander deal.

Anyway, I don't see us trading Mullins but I wouldn't be terribly upset if we did.  I think it would probably be a good sell high move.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

We’d have to really consider a Mullins-Florial swap. Before the season we would’ve never even thought it was possible. I don’t think 50 games of a hot Mullins changes that. I think we should be all over that deal, and they we could likely get a 2nd piece. 

It would just suck to watch Mullins turn into Curtis Granderson. 

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The Miller trade was a great trade for us.

That's objectively wrong.  He pitched well for us, but half a season of Miller in a year where we won the division by 12 games, and then some shutdown performances in the ALDS that might have been matchable by other relievers, does not even come close to the 14 WAR of value that Rodriguez has given to the Red Sox since then.

2 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

That's objectively wrong.  He pitched well for us, but half a season of Miller in a year where we won the division by 12 games, and then some shutdown performances in the ALDS that might have been matchable by other relievers, does not even come close to the 14 WAR of value that Rodriguez has given to the Red Sox since then.

You take Miller off the O's and put him on the Tigers and I think the O's lose that series.

That was the best chance the O's had to get to a WS in decades.  Miller was the type of player that moved the needle in a short series.

You make that trade.

It didn't lead to a World Series but it was the right move to make.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

The Orioles could/should have been in the WS that year.  Miller made a very good pen great.  

It’s a trade you make all the time when you are trying to win a WS.  

• Upvote 1