Bowden looks at potential Yankee deals: Mullins to NY?

Sports Guy

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Orioles could/should have been in the WS that year.  Miller made a very good pen great.  

It’s a trade you make all the time when you are trying to win a WS.  

Anytime you’re that good and have a shot at the WS, you have to go for it. Remember that DD held back from trading Hunter Harvey for Jon Lester. 

45 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Orioles could/should have been in the WS that year.  Miller made a very good pen great.  

It’s a trade you make all the time when you are trying to win a WS.  

55 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You take Miller off the O's and put him on the Tigers and I think the O's lose that series.

That was the best chance the O's had to get to a WS in decades.  Miller was the type of player that moved the needle in a short series.

You make that trade.

It didn't lead to a World Series but it was the right move to make.

I think you both are assuming I'm speaking to "Whether or not we should have made the trade at the time." I'm not.  I get your point there, and I agree that you do that deal in the scenario we had.

I was speaking solely in terms of results, and how it turned out after the fact.  In terms of results, we lost that trade, even though it was the correct one to make at the time.

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Anytime you’re that good and have a shot at the WS, you have to go for it. Remember that DD held back from trading Hunter Harvey for Jon Lester. 

What year was that? That’s one trade rumor I can’t remember. 

There’s also the Dylan Bundy for Giancarlo Stanton trade that was rumored, but turned down as well. 

20 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

I think you both are assuming I'm speaking to "Whether or not we should have made the trade at the time." I'm not.  I get your point there, and I agree that you do that deal in the scenario we had.

I was speaking solely in terms of results, and how it turned out after the fact.  In terms of results, we lost that trade, even though it was the correct one to make at the time.

Do you do the deal if it gets the O's to the WS?  If they win the WS?  Was the price too high regardless of the outcome of the season?

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Thanks. Lester would have been a boost to the starting rotation, but I don’t know if that gets the O’s past the Royals.

The O’s offense only scored two runs the last two games of the ALCS. The Royals were the one team I didn’t want to see in the AL. I was rooting for the Angels to beat them and felt the O’s matched up much better against them. 

I better stop thinking about this before I get into a bad mood, lol. 

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you do the deal if it gets the O's to the WS?  If they win the WS? 

All day every day.  Again, it was the right move at the time.

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Was the price too high regardless of the outcome of the season?

I wasn't weighing costs regarding potential at the time of the trade. I was looking at it as: did we win the trade, looking in retrospect of what both sides actually came away with, not what they could have potentially gotten out of it at the time the trade was made.

On 4/2/2021 at 4:57 PM, Tony-OH said:

When was the last time anybody traded with the Yankees and came out on top at the end of the day? Any player they’re willing to deal away is pretty much guaranteed to be overrated, or else they wouldn’t let him go. 

We’re not going to compete until 2023/2024, so you almost have to consider the value of doing a “wash” trade to have that value there from 2023+. That’s why trading Mullins and Santander has to be on the table. I don’t think we’re there yet in maximum value with Santander, but this might be a great chance to sell sky high on Mullins. Yes, there is risk, but how much risk is really there when we’re staring down being terrible at least till 2023?  

Mullins isn’t helping us in 2021/2022. He can’t pitch.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’re not going to compete until 2023/2024, so you almost have to consider the value of doing a “wash” trade to have that value there from 2023+. That’s why trading Mullins and Santander has to be on the table. I don’t think we’re there yet in maximum value with Santander, but this might be a great chance to sell sky high on Mullins. Yes, there is risk, but how much risk is really there when we’re staring down being terrible at least till 2023?  

Mullins isn’t helping us in 2021/2022. He can’t pitch.

It seems that Adley, Grayson and DL will be up in 2022. So the O's will want to win in 2022.  They don't want to waste those three's window

45 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It seems that Adley, Grayson and DL will be up in 2022. So the O's will want to win in 2022.  They don't want to waste those three's window

Elias has alluded to the Tampa model with frequent turnover. Wanting to win in 2022 doesn't mean going all in. Ideally there will not be a narrow window, we will have a pipeline of talent coming in after Adley and Grayson. Seems like 2023 realistically before we are really competitive with Westburg and Gunnar etc. I am fine with anyone being on the table for the right return.