Cadyn Grenier showing signs of life

Frobby

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

He definitely brings a utility game to the field. His defense at SS is solid MLB average and above average at 2B. the question how much do you want from the stick. I'll see this now, he's better defensively than Owings at both SS and 2B and can certainly OPS less than .500! lol

He is acting like a leadoff hitter right now where Norfolk has him.  One more hit, 2 more walks today.  OPS up to .687.   Where it stops nobody knows.   I always get fooled by these types of streaks.   I want to believe that he's re-inventing himself as a singles hitter (not that he ever had much power) who is being selective at the plate.    Not sure why anyone would pitch carefully to him but he's racking up the walks right now.

• 10 months later...

I didn't want to make a new thread for this, but I noticed Grenier wasn't on the bench in Norfolk's game last night. He played SS in Norfolk's game on Saturday and went 3-3 with 2BBs and a great play in the field.

If you look at his player page here: https://www.milb.com/player/cadyn-grenier-663760 it says he's on the Voluntary Retired List. Did he have a great game and then leave on a high note like George Costanza?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

I didn't want to make a new thread for this, but I noticed Grenier wasn't on the bench in Norfolk's game last night. He played SS in Norfolk's game on Saturday and went 3-3 with 2BBs and a great play in the field.

If you look at his player page here: https://www.milb.com/player/cadyn-grenier-663760 it says he's on the Voluntary Retired List. Did he have a great game and then leave on a high note like George Costanza?

Interesting. He's not on the Tides roster but not listed under transactions. 

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

That was a really bad draft after Grayson

He was just a reach.  I was also surprised they paid him at or near slot.

He was a need pick, which is rarely a good idea(DJ Stewart also imo).

I do wonder if the forfeited pick is the reason they popped him so early.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Unusual move to show up for spring training, make it to Norfolk, play for 5-6 days and then retire.  At least he’ll have the memory of that last good game.   Good luck to Cadyn in whatever he chooses to pursue next.

Maybe he was about to be released with the return of Ortiz and decided to retire before they released him.   Sounds better.

Highlight of Grenier's career was being the SS for the Oregon State College World Series Champs.  Adley was his teammate.   Blaine Knight who the O's just released at the end of Spring Training was the ace for the Arkansas team who were the runners-up in that 2018 Series.

• Like 1