Jump to content

Bowie/Aberdeen/Delmarva: .737


DrungoHazewood

Recommended Posts

Minor league winning percentages are irrelevant when the teams are loaded up with older players who are not prospects. 

These winning percentages mean something when they are being led by prospects age appropriate or lower for their levels (taking COVID into consideration).

The Orioles are doing this with age appropriate or under prospects. It's impressive.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Minor league winning percentages are irrelevant when the teams are loaded up with older players who are not prospects. 

These winning percentages mean something when they are being led by prospects age appropriate or lower for their levels (taking COVID into consideration).

I think it is reasonable to say that the Shorebirds are (on average) a bit old for their league.   Would you say the same is true for Aberdeen and Bowie?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I think it is reasonable to say that the Shorebirds are (on average) a bit old for their league.   Would you say the same is true for Aberdeen and Bowie?

The Shorebirds hitters are .8 older than average .7 for pitchers, but that is mostly because the Orioles have a college heavy group there because of the missed year the year before. It's not like they have guys two or 3 years older who are not prospects dominating. Henderson is the bets player on the team and he's 20.

Actually, most of their org guys are 23 and 24 and not doing very well.

Aberdeen is 23.3 vs 23 avg for hitters and 23.1 vs 23.2 avg for pitching.

Bowie is 24.2 vs 24.1 for hitters and 24.7 vs 24.8 for pitchers. 

So both are basically league average and again, the prospects are the ones doing well at each level.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The Shorebirds hitters are .8 older than average .7 for pitchers, but that is mostly because the Orioles have a college heavy group there because of the missed year the year before. It's not like they have guys two or 3 years older who are not prospects dominating. Henderson is the bets player on the team and he's 20.

Actually, most of their org guys are 23 and 24 and not doing very well.

Aberdeen is 23.3 vs 23 avg for hitters and 23.1 vs 23.2 avg for pitching.

Bowie is 24.2 vs 24.1 for hitters and 24.7 vs 24.8 for pitchers. 

So both are basically league average and again, the prospects are the ones doing well at each level.

Ah ok.  I took your first post to be a bit more negative in tone than it seems you intended.  Sounds like we should see the glass as half-full after all.  :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Aglets said:

Ah ok.  I took your first post to be a bit more negative in tone than it seems you intended.  Sounds like we should see the glass as half-full after all.  :)

Yeah, that was my fault. i added some stuff to make it more clear, thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good discussion of the age issue.   Another factor in that is that our DSL pipeline hasn’t kicked in yet.   Those guys tend to be on the younger side when they reach low A, so the absence of DSL grads skews Delmarva a bit older.   

I’m very interested to see how our DSL/GCL teams do and what their age profile is compared to other teams’.   We should be much more competitive this year regarding the age of players on those teams.  (Our 2019 GCL team won the league but it was very old compared to most of the other teams in the league.)
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Good discussion of the age issue.   Another factor in that is that our DSL pipeline hasn’t kicked in yet.   Those guys tend to be on the younger side when they reach low A, so the absence of DSL grads skews Delmarva a bit older.   

I’m very interested to see how our DSL/GCL teams do and what their age profile is compared to other teams’.   We should be much more competitive this year regarding the age of players on those teams.  (Our 2019 GCL team won the league but it was very old compared to most of the other teams in the league.)
 

This! I'm very interested in seeing who makes the team and what roles they have. The Orioles will have two teams (orange and black) in the GCL so there should be plenty of opportunities for playing time. With the draft now pushed back to July 11–13, I think we should see very young teams which could be very DSL player heavy.

When I get a chance I will do a quick article for guys to watch for this year.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...