Jahmai Jones 2021

Ohfan67

Bat is quick.  Aggressive early in count and looked comfortable hitting with 2 strikes.  His hit came on a 2 strike slider, barreled a ball in next at bat but got out in front and sent ball to warning track.  Looks very comfortable at the plate, looks like a fish out of water a 2b.  

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

How’s the defense coming?

I saw 4 plays.  2 routine plays he made (weak arm).  One tough play he made but he looked  like a circus clown.  He made a mental error not covering 1b on ball between P and 1b.  1b was salty, he fielded ball and had no one to throw to.  Dude is really really fast and looks very very strong.  

• Thanks 1

• Tony-OH changed the title to Jahmai Jones 2021

This was from the other post on the major league board suggesting Jones may be recalled soon to take over 2B.

"Seems like a strange time to promote Jones considering he's been in a slump for the last few weeks slashing .160/.208/.280/.488 over his last 14 games and 54 PAs. While Jones has held his own at AAA this season, he's hit just .238/.347/.420/.767 in 168 PAs this season against AAA right-handers. He's mashed left-handers which reminds me a bit of Richie Martin.

Defensively, I see a guy without great hands who doesn't turn a double play that great. Pat Valaika is definitely a steadier second baseman overall and has a stronger arm than Jones. His best position may ultimately be in left field, but I'm not sure he has the bat to profile there unless it's in a 4th outfielder type role and while his bat may be better than McKenna's, I don't think he's going to bring the defense and speed McKenna brings to the 4th outfielders role.

Ultimately, he's on the 40-man roster so if they want to take a look at him at 2B over Valaika that's fine since Valaika is not the future nor does he have trade value and is most likely a DFA candidate after the season. But saying that, I prefer to see guys promoted when they're hot, not cold."

• 4 months later...
On 8/2/2021 at 1:05 PM, Tony-OH said:

This was from the other post on the major league board suggesting Jones may be recalled soon to take over 2B.

"Seems like a strange time to promote Jones considering he's been in a slump for the last few weeks slashing .160/.208/.280/.488 over his last 14 games and 54 PAs. While Jones has held his own at AAA this season, he's hit just .238/.347/.420/.767 in 168 PAs this season against AAA right-handers. He's mashed left-handers which reminds me a bit of Richie Martin.

Defensively, I see a guy without great hands who doesn't turn a double play that great. Pat Valaika is definitely a steadier second baseman overall and has a stronger arm than Jones. His best position may ultimately be in left field, but I'm not sure he has the bat to profile there unless it's in a 4th outfielder type role and while his bat may be better than McKenna's, I don't think he's going to bring the defense and speed McKenna brings to the 4th outfielders role.

Ultimately, he's on the 40-man roster so if they want to take a look at him at 2B over Valaika that's fine since Valaika is not the future nor does he have trade value and is most likely a DFA candidate after the season. But saying that, I prefer to see guys promoted when they're hot, not cold."

I guess between this post by @Tony-OH and Jones’ MLB performance, the hype train really slowed down, or became non existent. 

He was only 23 last year. He has tools. I think it’s too early to lump him in with Ritchie Martin. Well hopefully. 

AAA is going to have some serious competition for ABs if the Rule 5 doesn’t hit us. 

4 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

I'm guessing Mateo is the utility infielder on OD. Jones is going to have to fight for ABs in Norfolk.

Agreed.  He looks like a 2B only player to me so he's going to have to make it there, I think.   He got off to a great start in Norfolk.  I remember his OPS being up around .900 early in the season.   He certainly didn't look all that great when we saw him at the end of the year.    He can run a little and has a little bit of pop and showed some patience early in the AAA season last year.   He's going to have to really come through offensively in all 3 departments to be regular ML material.   It was hard to see it when he was up at the end of the season but he's still got some time to put it together while in the O's organization.