As if the Orioles needed more bad press…

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, UMDTerrapins said:

This is insane. How humiliating that we can’t put a roof over the heads of these guys. 

I’m guessing the big name guys are ok because of signing bonuses but it’s a joke.  

Seriously, this is the life blood of your organization and you can’t get them a freaking room?

I would offer up my house if I was closer but I’m close to an hour away from Bowie, so that’s not all that helpful.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I am in no way condoning the actions of ownership (either group).

I would hope that one or more of the financially secure members of the team would step up for his teammates until a long term solution of some sort is found.

I was wondering if Adley would do something?  

44 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would hope that one or more of the financially secure members of the team would step up for his teammates until a long term solution of some sort is found.

I would hope they would as well, but it’s still not fair to them either. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wasn't suggesting otherwise.

I hope no one thinks I'm somehow trying to guilt them into doing something either.

No, I don't think that at all. I know what I would do if I were in their situation, and I'd make sure every receipt were documented and saved. It's just not fair that they'd even be put in that situation.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Well, that would be nice, but it shouldn’t be their responsibility.   The team should step up and do something.   

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I do find it amusing that some of the folks that are unhappy with this situation are fine with the Orioles gaming service time to suppress salary and delay the ability to choose an employer.

Generally speaking, the kind of players that are having their service time manipulated originally signed for sizable bonuses, and many will be paid MLB salaries for multiple years. The players that are talking about sleeping in cars didn't get those big bonuses. If they're in AA they're making about $12k a year, only paid during the five month season. Apparently not paid at all during spring training or AFL. 

Worth noting that I'm not at all a fan of the system allows teams to manipulate service clocks at all. If Rutschman is ready on August 1st, he should be called up on August 1st, not held out until some day in April the following season. But as a fan who wants to see the club win, and sustain that winning, manipulating a players' service clock has become an accepted reality in order to retain players you otherwise couldn't afford to keep. 

To me, all of this boils down to the absurdity of the Uniform Minor League Player Contract and corresponding salary terms being negotiated solely by two parties that do not represent minor league players in any capacity. The owners don't want to pay any more than they absolutely have to, and the Major League Players Association doesn't want to lessen the potential salaries of the players they do represent. It leaves the average minor league player earning below the federal poverty line. I find it a particularly odd contrast to be building a state of the art 22.5 acre training facility in the Dominican Republic but we won't provide basic housing solutions for our players in the organization. 

I'm not feeling at all conflicted about my anger.