As if the Orioles needed more bad press…

Sports Guy

Sorry if I'm coming off a little preachy in my last post. This is just a really insane situation. Minor league salaries did get a bump a year ago, but 43 teams were also dissolved. Hell, a few years ago players were not only paid a horrible wage, they had to pay clubhouse fees. I'm a capitalist, but watching Chris Davis make over $21 million this year to spend the entire year at home in Texas, while we have AA players sleeping in their cars just to make ends meet? And if the fans don't care about that situation, nobody else will. Certainly not the two Goliaths battling over the new CBA and how two divy up over $10 billion in revenue per year. Damn.......I'm getting preachy again. Ok, I'll stop. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Don't let the Baysox owner off the hook here.

That’s fine but this has a simple solution. Hell they aren’t sending announcers on the road to save money. I know all the teams are doing that.  

There is saving money and then there is being cheap. It’s getting to the point of being absurd. It’s embarrassing. Can’t even take care of your employees.  John and Lou Angelos have to worry about where they are sleeping? 
I’m sure if it’s the team hotel or whatever that means they can lock up long term rates. Did they pay for the first 6 weeks or so and not now? Would love to know all the story. 

Stuff like this isn’t a bad look it’s immoral.  

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Let’s also remember that this is going on throughout baseball.  This is a problem from Manfred down to the teams.

It’s pathetic behavior by the sport as a whole.

They have always used host families as you know. Covid protocols playing a role here? 

Using host families was pure cheapness as well. 

I have less issue with how much the players get paid then I do their living arrangements and costs. You want to roll the dice as a young adult trying to make it to the big leagues and take that long shot risk for little money, go ahead. Now, to be clear I think they should make more. Not against that. 

During the season take care of them like they are your own, because they are. Provide housing, meals etc. 

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I am in no way condoning the actions of ownership (either group).

I would hope that one or more of the financially secure members of the team would step up for his teammates until a long term solution of some sort is found.

I would too but would set a terrible precedent if the team is not held accountable. 

35 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I have less issue with how much the players get paid then I do their living arrangements and costs. You want to roll the dice as a young adult trying to make it to the big leagues and take that long shot risk for little money, go ahead. Now, to be clear I think they should make more. Not against that. 

During the season take care of them like they are your own, because they are. Provide housing, meals etc. 

Agreed.  It’s almost like an internship or apprenticeship.  You don’t get paid a lot for those things.

But to not give them living arrangements?  The idea that some think they have to sleep in a car?  Are you serious?  

That's horrible.