Coby Mayo 2021

Sports Guy

45 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Holy  _______ , Tony!!  Are you moving him to #2 in your Power Rankings?

You need more than upside to get ranked that high and I also meant as a hitter. Mayo still has high volatility because of the level he's at but I just like what's he's done so far and that swing!

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think half a season in Aberdeen and Bowie would be pretty aggressive for next year. 

You'd think he has to start in Aberdeen next year, right?  If Mayo has a similar performance / trajectory to Kyle Stowers this year that would put him in AAA a year from now. I can see the same aggressive path for Cowser and perhaps Norby as well, should their production remain at a high level. That timeline is consistent with our current minor league studs all graduating to the big leagues between April 2022 and the middle of 2023, which I believe has been Elias' plan all along. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

You'd think he has to start in Aberdeen next year, right?  If Mayo has a similar performance / trajectory to Kyle Stowers this year that would put him in AAA a year from now. I can see the same aggressive path for Cowser and perhaps Norby as well, should their production remain at a high level. That timeline is consistent with our current minor league studs all graduating to the big leagues between April 2022 and the middle of 2023, which I believe has been Elias' plan all along. 

I always try not to get too far ahead of myself when prognosticating how quickly a prospect might move.   I think Mayo clearly starts in Aberdeen next year.   If he puts up numbers from the jump that resemble his Delmarva numbers now, he could get to Bowie very quickly (6-8 weeks).    But that’s a huge assumption.    Let’s just see how it plays out.   I’m thrilled with what Mayo’s done in 2021.    

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I always try not to get too far ahead of myself when prognosticating how quickly a prospect might move.   I think Mayo clearly starts in Aberdeen next year.   If he puts up numbers from the jump that resemble his Delmarva numbers now, he could get to Bowie very quickly (6-8 weeks).    But that’s a huge assumption.    Let’s just see how it plays out.   I’m thrilled with what Mayo’s done in 2021.    

Interesting. One month in Delmarva, and six weeks in the FCL and you think he is ready for Aberdeen at 19? That would be pretty aggressive, but I can see your thought there. I think Elias/Blood are more conservative, maybe start in Delmarva and move up to Aberdeen in June. They seem to want a certain number of at bats with certain skills achieved. They have development plans for every player.

I just hope he works hard on his flexibility, strength and explosiveness. I think next year he could really take off if he improves his body. 

1 minute ago, Jammer7 said:

Interesting. One month in Delmarva, and six weeks in the FCL and you think he is ready for Aberdeen at 19? That would be pretty aggressive, but I can see your thought there. I think Elias/Blood are more conservative, maybe start in Delmarva and move up to Aberdeen in June. They seem to want a certain number of at bats with certain skills achieved. They have development plans for every player.

I just hope he works hard on his flexibility, strength and explosiveness. I think next year he could really take off if he improves his body. 

Well, he’ll be 20 all next season, not 19.   I guess you are right that they could start him at Delmarva,  but he’s looked awfully good there this year and looks like he’d be ready for more of a challenge.   As to his body, I’ll defer to you on that topic.   

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

What would the reasoning be to start him in Delmarva? I agree its possible but I don't think its justifiable.

34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What would the reasoning be to start him in Delmarva? I agree its possible but I don't think its justifiable.

Not that I'd agree with it, but it could be they'd want to see him get off to a hot start before promoting him and have that carry to the next level.  

I agree that it wouldn't really be justifiable, either.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Not that I'd agree with it, but it could be they'd want to see him get off to a hot start before promoting him and have that carry to the next level.  

I agree that it wouldn't really be justifiable, either.  

Yes because the OPS approaching 1000 so far isn't hot enough! 

(I know you are searching for something they could say but damn, that would be on weak ass reason)

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I think the rationale would be that 27 games at Delmarva isn’t enough of a sample size to conclude that he’s ready for the next level.   

Just now, Frobby said:

I think the rationale would be that 27 games at Delmarva isn’t enough of a sample size to conclude that he’s ready for the next level.   

That is one terrible rationale when the player is dominating the level over a sample size that while small, isn't nothing either.  Its not like he has only played 10 games or something.

40 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes because the OPS approaching 1000 so far isn't hot enough! 

(I know you are searching for something they could say but damn, that would be on weak ass reason)

Yep, exactly.  It would be weak, but it's the only thing I could come up with.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If that's the rationale, I agree with SG, it would be very weak.  He's handled Delmarva competition just as well as he had in the FCL.  To Mayo, it appears that there's no difference between the levels as of yet.  

It is 200 plate appearances of .995 OPS, all levels combined.