J.D. Mundy 2021

Aristotelian

5 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

As you said above though, Mundy won't influence how they value Mancini and what they're willing to pay him. Two independent things there.

Right...Mundy has nothing to do with this.  Its all about the salary.

If you know you don't want to pay Trey 8-10M, you don't wait until the offseason to move him unless your offers now are terrible.

If you are fine with keeping him at his salary than you only trade him if the offers are fair.  

Exciting to see Mundy pop a bit, especially as an undrafted guy (albeit in only a five round draft), but I would like to see us not be too aggressive with his promotions. He just turned 23, so obviously he’s on the older side, but not egregiously so. He’s only had 116 professional ABs, and less than 50 in his two weeks at high-A. That’s just a healthy hot streak for some guys. I’d like to see him continue to excel at Aberdeen at least through July before moving him up to Bowie for the final month if he’s still taking. Let him continue to develop and his confidence grow. 

On 6/19/2021 at 11:20 PM, MurphDogg said:

He hit a second homer of the night after you posted this. A little old for Aberdeen, would love to see whether he could hold his own at Bowie in the second half of the season.

Certainly isn't blocked at Bowie. Would like to see Stowers and Daschbach get some time in Bowie as well.

The minor league season is only 7 weeks old and Munday has already been promoted once.   I don't think anyone has been promoted twice yet this year.   I think they'll probably let him hang around in Aberdeen for a while.

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

The minor league season is only 7 weeks old and Munday has already been promoted once.   I don't think anyone has been promoted twice yet this year.   I think they'll probably let him hang around in Aberdeen for a while.

Sure, but he is 23, which is the league average but is old for an actual prospect at high-A and he leads the league in OPS. Of the other five 23-year-old players in the league with an OPS of .950+, three have already been promoted and a fourth, Matthew Barefoot, like Mundy, was promoted from low-A early in the season. 

I'm not saying he needs to be promoted this week, but 23-year-olds who lead their high-A league in OPS shouldn't spend four months there either.

3 hours ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

Exciting to see Mundy pop a bit, especially as an undrafted guy (albeit in only a five round draft), but I would like to see us not be too aggressive with his promotions. He just turned 23, so obviously he’s on the older side, but not egregiously so. He’s only had 116 professional ABs, and less than 50 in his two weeks at high-A. That’s just a healthy hot streak for some guys. I’d like to see him continue to excel at Aberdeen at least through July before moving him up to Bowie for the final month if he’s still taking. Let him continue to develop and his confidence grow. 

If I'm in his shoes (with no bonus and a terrible salary), the one thing that would help my confidence the most is being promoted to AA.  I don't want to be 23 in A ball - especially if I have to support a family.      

30 minutes ago, SteveA said:

On the contrary, let me tell you all a tale.  It's an impressive tale.  A tale of a man who has run the gambit of all the levels of the minor leagues quite possibly faster than anyone else in the history of professional baseball.

I am speaking of course of the tale of JC Encarnacion the indomitable.   Pull up a chair, sit around the campfire, and enjoy this inspiring story, that seems too strange to be true, but I give you every assurance that it is!

He begins 2021 on May the 5th at Delmarva, Low A.

After a mere FOUR games, he is promoted to High A Aberdeen, it is now May the 11th.   

After only TWO games there, he catapults up to Bowie.......it is now May 19th.  How many games did he need there before the jump to AAA?  If you guessed 3 or 4, you would be wrong.  It only took TWO again.

On June 2nd, he was in AAA.  

That is FOUR levels in less than 30 days.  FOUR levels after 8 games played all year.

This is the tale of the one and only JC Encarnacion.  Everyone please stop and enjoy this ride will it lasts...............there is no telling when we will see another meteoric rise such as this.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Aglets said:

On the contrary, let me tell you all a tale.  It's an impressive tale.  A tale of a man who has run the gambit of all the levels of the minor leagues quite possibly faster than anyone else in the history of professional baseball.

I am speaking of course of the tale of JC Encarnacion the indomitable.   Pull up a chair, sit around the campfire, and enjoy this inspiring story, that seems too strange to be true, but I give you every assurance that it is!

He begins 2021 on May the 5th at Delmarva, Low A.

After a mere FOUR games, he is promoted to High A Aberdeen, it is now May the 11th.   

After only TWO games there, he catapults up to Bowie.......it is now May 19th.  How many games did he need there before the jump to AAA?  If you guessed 3 or 4, you would be wrong.  It only took TWO again.

On June 2nd, he was in AAA.  

That is FOUR levels in less than 30 days.  FOUR levels after 8 games played all year.

This is the tale of the one and only JC Encarnacion.  Everyone please stop and enjoy this ride will it lasts...............there is no telling when we will see another meteoric rise such as this.

Encarnacion may be on the Jaylen Ferguson plan.

25 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Im reading elsewhere they've both been released. So that was a meteoric rise to the top and out of the system.  

JC we wanted to see you fly.   And fly you did.......maybe a little too close to the sun.  ?

I wonder if another team will sign him. 

I seen JC Encarnacion in 2019 with Delmarva.  He had a long loopy swing.  Batted fourth first time i seen him, 3 bad swinging strikeouts.  Second time he was batting 8th, he took another 3 strikeout day and looked horrible at 3rd base.  HORRIBLE.   I'm actually surprised he was even invited back.

One thing to note on Mundy is he's a 20 runner on the 20-80 scale. I mean he might be one of the slowest guys I've seen in a long time. I timed him at 4.7-4.8 going to first base. That might make him a 10 runner if that was possible. 

Not surprisingly his only steal was on the back of a double steal against the Frederick Nationals when Gunnar Henderson stole 3rd. 

As hard as hits the ball, I'm surprised he only has 6 GIDP so far. 

His lack of speed will keep him at 1B or DH and yes, he'll be a base clogger a bit.

57 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

One thing to note on Mundy is he's a 20 runner on the 20-80 scale. I mean he might be one of the slowest guys I've seen in a long time. I timed him at 4.7-4.8 going to first base. That might make him a 10 runner if that was possible. 

Not surprisingly his only steal was on the back of a double steal against the Frederick Nationals when Gunnar Henderson stole 3rd. 

As hard as hits the ball, I'm surprised he only has 6 GIDP so far. 

His lack of speed will keep him at 1B or DH and yes, he'll be a base clogger a bit.

Just so long as he’s also a base emptier.  

• Upvote 1