Tuesday, June 22: Orioles vs Astros

SteveA

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

We’ve had this Conversation before, and I agree, he frequently looks awful, and at 27, he’s only got a couple more years before decline sets in anyway. I don’t know how baseball savant makes their calculations, but Stewart isn’t as bad as you think, and MC is terrible. At the moment, MC should be settling in at 1B and DH, and put the OF behind him, and Stewart I guess is in the OF by default.

Galvis is terrible too, by the way, even though he looks ok at times.

Dont get me started on Galvis....people who should know better say he "makes all the plays" when I watch him I see him make numerous mistakes.  I watch every game and there is a reason he was available to us for one and half million.  No one else wanted him.  Same with Franco.  NO ONE wanted them.....they are not good at baseball.  

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

We’ve had this Conversation before, and I agree, he frequently looks awful, and at 27, he’s only got a couple more years before decline sets in anyway. I don’t know how baseball savant makes their calculations, but Stewart isn’t as bad as you think, and MC is terrible. At the moment, MC should be settling in at 1B and DH, and put the OF behind him, and Stewart I guess is in the OF by default.

Galvis is terrible too, by the way, even though he looks ok at times.

But Stewart is exactly as bad as I think. Do you understand what i mean when i say he can not judge fly balls. Did you see him hurt himself on a foul fly that every outfielder who has ever played the game has the spatial knowledge to realize the ball will be landing 50 feet out of play? 

And it's just ridiculous to think that Mountcastle should be judged an abject failure after 40 games in the outfield. If he can play mediocre defense in LF, he could be a frequent all-star with his bat. 

If you want to position these two to prevent more runs, put Stewart at 1B. 

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t know whether speed translates for every outfielder, and didn’t suggest that it does. But it certainly doesn’t for MC. Being fast isn’t as important as being quick, reading the ball, and running good routes. Speed will help if you do those other things well, but otherwise, you’ll just be running quickly to the wrong place and covering too much ground while getting there.

if he could get to the ball and catch the ball, he’d be fine. After all, Mullins doesn’t have a strong arm, and he's great. 

Mountcastle has never played OF before and now has all of 40 games experience. There is no reason to doom him to be a horrible outfielder. Let him play some more and see if he improves. Only then can we pass judgment on his defense.

2 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

But Stewart is exactly as bad as I think. Do you understand what i mean when i say he can not judge fly balls. Did you see him hurt himself on a foul fly that every outfielder who has ever played the game has the spatial knowledge to realize the ball will be landing 50 feet out of play? 

And it's just ridiculous to think that Mountcastle should be judged an abject failure after 40 games in the outfield. If he can play mediocre defense in LF, he could be a frequent all-star with his bat. 

If you want to position these two to prevent more runs, put Stewart at 1B. 

He is as bad as you think he is.  Stewart is shockingly bad in the field.  DH is his only real position.  

• Thanks 1