FCL happenings

Frobby

Thought I’d start a thread using the new name of the Florida Complex League (FCL).    Today, Black prevailed 6-2 to improve its record to 2-0, while Orange lost its second straight by the score of 8-6.   

The Black game featured outstanding pitching from 18 year olds starter Raul Rangel (3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 6 K’s) and reliever Yeancarlos Lleras (4 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 1 BB, 5 K’s).   Nice to see that from Lleras, who struggled in the GCL in 2018-19 after being drafted in the 6th round by the old regime.  He’s still only 20, so he still has time to right the ship but needs to get going.   

RF Davis Tavares (22) had three hits, while DH Cody  Mayo (19), 1B Josue Cruz (20) and 3B Roberto Martinez (18) each had two.

In the Orange game, 3B Moises Ramirez (19) and C Ricardo Rivera (18) each had two hits, combining for 5 RBI.   Nothing worth mentioning on the pitching side.   

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Thought I’d start a thread using the new name of the Florida Complex League (FCL).    Today, Black prevailed 6-2 to improve its record to 2-0, while Orange lost its second straight by the score of 8-6.   

The Black game featured outstanding pitching from 18 year olds starter Raul Rangel (3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 6 K’s) and reliever Francisco Lleras (4 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 1 BB, 5 K’s).   Nice to see that from Lleras, who struggled in the GCL in 2018-19 after being drafted in the 6th round by the old regime.  He’s still only 20, so he still has time to right the ship but needs to get going.   

Is Yeancarlos now going by Francisco?

11 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

Is Yeancarlos now going by Francisco?

No, my mistaken recollection.   The box score doesn’t show first names and I should have checked.  I fixed it (and added other stuff to my post).   

• 2 weeks later...

So far in the handful of games that have been played, I’d say the standout has been the Venezuelan pitcher Raul Rangel, who has racked up 11 strikeouts in 6 IP while allowing only 1 earned run (also one unearned).    Not bad for a kid who doesn’t turn 19 until October.   

By the way, the median age of FCL batters is 19.9, while for pitchers it’s 21.0.   The Orioles Black hitters are the youngest in the league at 19.3, while Orange is in the middle of the pack at 19.7.    By contrast, Black’s pitching is league average at 21.0, while Orange’s pitching is second oldest at 21.6.    All of this is based on weighted average depending on who plays, so these numbers can vacillate pretty quickly this early in the season.   But it’s nice to see we have a strong complement of 18-19 year olds on this year’s team.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 8:56 AM, Frobby said:

I'm trying to familiarize myself with who all these FCL players from Latin America are.   Here's a partial list of the higher-profile guys, going mostly off signing bonus.

FCL Orioles Black

Luis Gonzalez, 18, CF $475 k bonus: .222/.317/.333, 0 HR 2 RBI

Luis Ortiz, 18, LHP, $400 k bonus (has played for both Orange and Black): 8.2 IP, 9 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 5 BB, 10 K’s

Mishael Deson, 18, CF, $350 k bonus from the Rockies (acquired in the Givens trade): .360/.429/.400, 0 HR, 3 RBI

Stiven Acevedo, 18, LF/CF, $275 K bonus: .344/.417/.406, 0 HR 4 RBI

Isaac DeLeon, 19, SS/3B, $275 k bonus from the Marlins (acquired in the Bleier trade): .244/.320/.357, 0 HR, 7 RBI

Raul Rangel, 18, RHP, undisclosed bonus but was ranked 51st best prospect in his class: 12.0 IP, 10 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 15 K’s

Jean Pinto, 20, RHP, undislosed bonus, acquired from the Angels in the Iglesias trade: 17 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 25 K’s   

FCL Orioles Orange

Leonel Sanchez, 18, 2B, $400 k bonus, .050/.174/.050, 0 HR, 0 RBI.

Noelberth Romero, 19, 3B/SS/2B, $275 k bonus from the Red Sox (acquired in the Cashner trade): .176/.288/.250, 1 HR, 4 RBI

Moises Ramirez, 19, 3B, $225 k bonus: .380/.415/.540, 1 HR, 10 RBI

Isaac Bellony, 19, 1B/RF, $220 k bonus, .120/.290/.160, 0 HR, 0 RBI

Luis Sanchez, 18, RHP, $200 k bonus: 4 IP, 5 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 8 BB, 4 K’s

Kevin Infante, 20, CF, $175 k bonus: .209/.273/.200, 0 HR, 1 RBI 

I’ve added above some of the early returns on our bonus babies at the three-week mark.   It’s decidedly a mixed bag so far.  You certainly have to be happy with Deson, Acevedo, Rangel and Ramirez.    Pinto is dominating and at 20 years old probably merits a promotion to Delmarva.  

Among the other players, a couple on Orioles Black merit noting:

Josue Cruz, 20, 1B/OF,  is hitting .279/.319/.605 with 3 homers and 9 RBI.  He played at 17 and 18 in the DSL, posting an .857 OPS in his second season there, and might be a candidate for promotion to Delmarva.  

Roberto Martinez, 18, 2B/3B has hit .348/.423/.435, though in fewer games and at bats than some of the others.  

Cody Mayo, 19, 3B has hit .297/.395/.350 with 0 HR and 2 RBI so far.   

Nobody else on FCL Orange is noteworthy.   Both teams have a few players who are older who are rehabbing and whatnot.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone know what’s happening with Elio Prado?   He was acquired in the Cashner trade, had a nice season in the DSL in 2019, and was reported to be on the FCL roster this year, but he hasn’t appeared in a game yet.   He figured to be one of the more interesting players to follow.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Anyone know what’s happening with Elio Prado?   He was acquired in the Cashner trade, had a nice season in the DSL in 2019, and was reported to be on the FCL roster this year, but he hasn’t appeared in a game yet.   He figured to be one of the more interesting players to follow.  

I saw a report saying that he was on the 60 Day IL, but not sure what the injury is.  

• Thanks 1

Going into today’s play, Orioles Black had the best ERA in the FCL while also having the third-youngest pitching staff at 20.2 on average.   On the other hand, Orioles Orange had the second worst ERA in the league and the oldest staff at 22.0.    

The hitting on both teams is below league average, but Black (13th/18, 4.50 runs/game) is significantly better than Orange (17th/18, 3.58).   Black’s hitters are the youngest in the league (19.2), Orange is pretty young too (7th/18, 19.6).   

Orange (.917 fldg %) and Black (.941) are the two most error prone teams in the FCL at this stage.   League average is .958.   

I’d imagine that when the recent draftees are ready to join the FCL teams, a number of the Orange players will get cut loose.  

I’m honestly shocked that the black team is performing this well. Very young team full of guys that have little experience. Mayo looks to be the best of the bunch but Acevedo, who I know the development staff is high on, is hitting over .300 from the lead off spot and there are a few ME trade acquisitions having solid debuts as well. Orange team needs the new draftees ASAP as they are very light on talent at the moment. Still don’t see a downside to having two squads.