A's get Holliday

mhd24

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A's GM Billy Beane's thought process? Sorry...I know this may not be an Orioles topic, but it is relevant in that the O's are a rebuilding team as well. Over the past few years, it seems as thogh Beane has had a vision as to how to develop the A's. This recent trade for Matt Holliday strikes me as very odd in regard to the path the A's have taken. They have not been any kind of players in the major free agent market and they have pretty much always traded away any of their aging talent for younger talent. So they are basically a very young team without much hope of making the playoffs anytime soon and yet they trade away quite a few young, talented players to get Matt Holliday. No one understands more than I do that Holliday is young as well, and maybe one of the best young outfielders in the game, but still...this trade still strikes me as odd. The only way this trade makes sense to me is if Billy Beane totally disregards his vision and starts signing expensive free agents. Maybe I am crazy, and maybe Beane is just doing this trade because he knows that if he loses Holliday to free agency next year, he will get two first round draft picks, but for a young team with virtually no chance of competing next year, this is one of the stranger trades I have seen in a long time. I mean...would it make sense for the Orioles to trade away valuable young prospects to get Holliday when they are in a rebuilding mode?

Archived