2021 Orioles Draft Tracker

The one thing that is obvious with this draft is Elias and company definitely believe in grow the bats, acquiring the ready arms. Elias has now drafted just 4 pitchers (McLarty and Gillespie in 2019, Baumler in 2020, and Carlos Tavera in 2021) in the top ten rounds in 3 drafts. 

The only high schooler selected (Baumler) needed TJ surgery before he threw a professional pitch which might have been why he was available and willing to sign despite having some upside (most upside High school seniors went to college after the short 5 round draft last year).

Right now, the best pitching prospect drafted by Elias company is probably Baumler based off his potential, but currently is currently     Griffin McLarty who comes in currently at #48 in the system. Though Brandon Young, the free agent signee last year is #35 currently.

If the past is any indication, the team will go pitcher heavy in the next ten rounds.

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The only high schooler selected (Baumler) needed TJ surgery before he threw a professional pitch which might have been why he was available and willing to sign despite having some upside (most upside High school seniors went to college after the short 5 round draft last year).

I recall that Baumler pitched some in Fall instructs and made a good impression before he was diagnosed with the UCL tear.   So I don’t think it was known that he needed TJ surgery when he was drafted.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I recall that Baumler pitched some in Fall instructs and made a good impression before he was diagnosed with the UCL tear.   So I don’t think it was known that he needed TJ surgery when he was drafted.   

Perhaps, who knows. I know he was shut down pretty quickly and maybe the kid had some discomfort before he was drafted or shortly after but before signing? Who knows? 

Honestly that's not really the point nor does it matter at this point. 

Sticking with the facts:

Elias has drafted two pitchers that fit into our current Top 50 and one has undergone TJ surgery. It's pretty clear that he wants to develop a hitting pipeline and use that to acquire pitching, since I doubt he'll have much luck acquire top level pitching talent through free agency since the Orioles have no history of going after the best pitching available on the market.

Saying that, I'm going to be really interested in seeing the signing bonuses of these top ten guys this year to see his plan.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Perhaps, who knows. I know he was shut down pretty quickly and maybe the kid had some discomfort before he was drafted or shortly after but before signing? Who knows? 

Honestly that's not really the point nor does it matter at this point. 

Sticking with the facts:

Elias has drafted two pitchers that fit into our current Top 50 and one has undergone TJ surgery. It's pretty clear that he wants to develop a hitting pipeline and use that to acquire pitching, since I doubt he'll have much luck acquire top level pitching talent through free agency since the Orioles have no history of going after the best pitching available on the market.

Saying that, I'm going to be really interested in seeing the signing bonuses of these top ten guys this year to see his plan.

I also don’t know how easy it is to acquire solid major league pitchers by trading from a “hitting pipeline.”    I think it’s a questionable strategy.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I also don’t know how easy it is to acquire solid major league pitchers by trading from a “hitting pipeline.”    I think it’s a questionable strategy.   

Agreed, we will have to see how it works. Most importantly they have to pick the right hitters and that is still in question so far as none of college hitter selections minus Adley have really dominated. Stowers has been the best of the lot so far, though obviously Mundy the free agent signee last year has looked good in A-ball.

As for this draft, I think both Cowser and Norby look like pretty safe bets to be solid big league contributors that should get there quickly.

I'm not too worried about the lack of pitching selections given that next year they will again be selecting #1 or #2 overall.   They will be in prime position to select next season's Jack Leiter if they wish.  Of course, you have to go BPA.   It's telling to me that all the picks have been college guys with the exception of the high upside catcher.   I think Elias is trying to establish a good core no matter how he can get it.  

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Agreed, we will have to see how it works. Most importantly they have to pick the right hitters and that is still in question so far as none of college hitter selections minus Adley have really dominated. Stowers has been the best of the lot so far, though obviously Mundy the free agent signee last year has looked good in A-ball.

As for this draft, I think both Cowser and Norby look like pretty safe bets to be solid big league contributors that should get there quickly.

I don’t disagree completely, but I do think there is reason for optimism. Jordan Westburg, Johnny Rizer and Hudson Haskins are hitting fairly well. And Joey Ortiz was greatly improved before his season ending injury. They were all Elias draftees. I would not say they are “dominant,” but you have to be very pleased with their production and improvements, right? All depends on what your definition of dominant is. This is the first full season action for Elias’ draft picks, so we’ll see what we have at the end of the year. 

I have not posted since the draft began because I have been watching video and reading scouting reports. I did not want to judge this group on a whim as I knew little to nothing about most of them before the draft. There was seemingly enough knee jerk reactions out there. The only ones I was familiar with were Cowser, Norby and Donta’ Williams. I am high on the Trimble, Rhodes, Burns and Pavolony picks. We’ll see what comes of it, but the tools are there in these picks. It isn’t the sexy big name draft some folks wanted, but there is quality and quantity. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So only one HS player! Is he an over slot candidate?

Yes probably.  He is a TCU commit and at slot value of $187K, might require up to $200-300K per Nick Faleris @Stotle but this is unknown.  See comments in his thread (Willems R 8 ) and 2021 Draft Thread, p. 43.

On 7/13/2021 at 10:57 AM, Tony-OH said:

The one thing that is obvious with this draft is Elias and company definitely believe in grow the bats, acquiring the ready arms. Elias has now drafted just 4 pitchers (McLarty and Gillespie in 2019, Baumler in 2020, and Carlos Tavera in 2021) in the top ten rounds in 3 drafts. 

Right now, the best pitching prospect drafted by Elias company is probably Baumler based off his potential, but currently is currently     Griffin McLarty who comes in currently at #48 in the system. Though Brandon Young, the free agent signee last year is #35 currently.

If the past is any indication, the team will go pitcher heavy in the next ten rounds.

This is what Houston did when Elias was there. I'd say that getting Verlander and Cole worked out OK for the Astros.

Between what you have to give up in players and then pay established front-line starters in trades, this is much more costly than drafting pitchers and hopefully developing them into very good pitchers. However, it does relieve you of using top draft picks and higher bonuses for pitchers that may need TJ surgery before they become established starters(like Taillon in Pittsburgh and maybe Baumler). And the list of pitchers taken in the first round by the O's is too depressing to review.

On 7/13/2021 at 8:22 PM, Jammer7 said:

I don’t disagree completely, but I do think there is reason for optimism. Jordan Westburg, Johnny Rizer and Hudson Haskins are hitting fairly well. And Joey Ortiz was greatly improved before his season ending injury. They were all Elias draftees. I would not say they are “dominant,” but you have to be very pleased with their production and improvements, right? All depends on what your definition of dominant is. This is the first full season action for Elias’ draft picks, so we’ll see what we have at the end of the year. 

I have not posted since the draft began because I have been watching video and reading scouting reports. I did not want to judge this group on a whim as I knew little to nothing about most of them before the draft. There was seemingly enough knee jerk reactions out there. The only ones I was familiar with were Cowser, Norby and Donta’ Williams. I am high on the Trimble, Rhodes, Burns and Pavolony picks. We’ll see what comes of it, but the tools are there in these picks. It isn’t the sexy big name draft some folks wanted, but there is quality and quantity. 

I really wasn't  trying to put down any of the guys you mentioned, particularly Westburg who has done well in his debut professional season. I was just saying the jury is out on the strategy and draft picks.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Please post all signings and announced bonuses in this thread to make it easier for me to track. Thanks,

Creed Willems said he was signing on Twitter, but I haven't seen anything yet on terms.  I don't recall how quickly we started hearing terms in the past.