Predict the Pick!!!! Your prediction with #5 overall pick here:

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think we'll take someone that a lot of people whine about.

I'm declaring myself the winner here.  I'm not wrong.

Folks complained about Adley.

Side note to the above, I looked up Bobby Witt JR so see how he's doing.

Really well actually, in AA, hitting well.

But what is interesting is he's playing at SS and third base.

• Upvote 2

Hard to say who will be available. Mayer and Leiter will probably be gone. After that, wide open field of players with similar value, but different price points. Elias has chosen two college bats with his first picks. He could afford to go after a higher end HS position player here as the system is not barren at any position at any level. The safe route (higher floor) is Davis, if he is available. The best player might come from among Lawlar, House and Watson. Ford is a real dark horse. 

I think this pick will come down to intangibles of players more than their bonus amount. If Elias is impressed with Lawlar, I think he should be willing to pay him slightly over slot. None of the mocks I have seen have the Orioles with any interest in Lawlar. I assume that is because of his number to forego Vandy. 

If Lawler’s number is more than Elias is willing to go, then House makes sense. House has the loudest tools and best physicality. He is probably not a SS for long, but he is a plus defender athletic enough to be an outstanding 3B or RF. Elias believes in his player development staff. 

So, my pick is Brady House. But I am pulling for Lawlar. Watson, if House is not a available. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Hard to say who will be available. Mayer and Leiter will probably be gone. After that, wide open field of players with similar value, but different price points. Elias has chosen two college bats with his first picks. He could afford to go after a higher end HS position player here as the system is not barren at any position at any level. The safe route (higher floor) is Davis, if he is available. The best player might come from among Lawlar, House and Watson. Ford is a real dark horse. 

I think this pick will come down to intangibles of players more than their bonus amount. If Elias is impressed with Lawlar, I think he should be willing to pay him slightly over slot. None of the mocks I have seen have the Orioles with any interest in Lawlar. I assume that is because of his number to forego Vandy. 

If Lawler’s number is more than Elias is willing to go, then House makes sense. House has the loudest tools and best physicality. He is probably not a SS for long, but he is a plus defender athletic enough to be an outstanding 3B or RF. Elias believes in his player development staff. 

So, my pick is Brady House. But I am pulling for Lawlar. Watson, if House is not a available. 

They may not be connecting us to Lawlar because he is unlikely to make it there.  Or maybe Elias is keeping a tight lid on things?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

They may not be connecting us to Lawlar because he is unlikely to make it there.  Or maybe Elias is keeping a tight lid on things?

Those are my thoughts as well. In the mocks that have Lawlar available, most have us taking Watson, Davis or Cowser. I cannot see Elias passing on Lawlar if he likes him. I think he puts a lot of emphasis on character, mental toughness, intelligence and determination. That said, if he passes on him, I think it has more to do with liking another player more so than the money. 

57 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

It's anyone's guess who they pick, but I love the idea of Jackson Jobe. 

Potentially 3 70-grade pitches was what Kiley McDaniel said the other night. Wowza.

HS arms are just so risky. But I do love the profile if you can afford the risk. 

5 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Those are my thoughts as well. In the mocks that have Lawlar available, most have us taking Watson, Davis or Cowser. I cannot see Elias passing on Lawlar if he likes him. I think he puts a lot of emphasis on character, mental toughness, intelligence and determination. That said, if he passes on him, I think it has more to do with liking another player more so than the money. 

I think he puts a lot of emphasis on talent.

If a low talent guy has tons of character, mental toughness, intelligence and determination I don't think he's in play at 1-5.

Talent trumps pretty much everything else.

Edited by Can_of_corn

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he puts a lot of emphasis on talent.

If a low talent guy has tons of character, mental toughness, intelligence and determination I don't think he's in play at 1-2.

Talent trumps pretty much everything else.

Agree. Don’t get me wrong, talent wins games. And nice guys don’t necessarily win much. What I am saying is that Elias has stated he puts an emphasis on intangibles that allow the prospect to make progress and likely to reach toward his potential ceiling. So, if things are roughly even, talent wise, the intangibles count more so. All the talent in the world means nothing if you will not get close to it. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Be great if signability became a question and he fell to #41.

If signability is an issue, and he wouldn't sign for lets say 5M which means he falls to 10 or outside top 10, then what makes you think we could sign him if he fell to 41? Where would the O's get 3.5M+ to make up the difference in value?