Do you actually watch the draft?

I’m curious who here actually watches the draft, and if you do, how much of it do you watch?

I find drafts excruciatingly boring to watch.   If I watch at all, I’ll calculate the time window when the no. 5 pick occurs, and only tune in a couple of minutes ahead just to quickly see who got picked already.   Then once I’ve heard the talking heads spend their 5 minutes discussing our pick, I’m out.    Sure I have some mild interest in learning where the main guys we chose to pass over landed, but not enough to sit there and watch it.   More than happy to learn that after the fact.  

On the other hand, I do find reading the OH draft day threads hugely entertaining.   I never fail to be amazed at how strong people’s opinions are, even though it will be years before we really know which picks were good or not.   

• Like 2

I will watch to see where the top 8 go.  After that I will read what is said about the O's picks.

I like what posters say on the OH Draft Threads.   With a crappy team at the major league level its good to have other Oriole things to read about.  After all player acquisition is a big part of the rebuild.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I watch it for the Os picks.

But not much else.  The NFL draft I will watch for some reason throughout but not the MLB.

With the NFL draft, you know that the guys you're seeing getting selected will be suiting up for their teams come September.  Even if you're not a Raiders fan, there's some interest there in wondering how the receiver with 4.3 speed will look catching balls from Derek Carr in a few months.  There's no doubt that most of those guys will be in pads in the fall.  There's a bit more instant gratification.  If your team has a hole on the offensive line and you select a left tackle to protect your quarterback, your team instantly just got better, most likely.

With the MLB draft, you're not as invested in all those players because there's the inherent knowledge that most of them won't make it.  If your team is in the top 10, I think you're invested, especially in a year like this where it seems like anything could happen.  I can't say that I'd be as interested in the MLB draft if we were picking 25th.  If you're picking 25th in the NFL, you can still get an impact player that'll be suiting up for your team in a few months.  If you're picking 25th in the MLB draft there's a strong chance that who your team picks won't make it.  Even if you're picking #5 like the Orioles tonight and we take a HS SS, there's no guarantee.