A Few Random 2021 Draft Picks

24 minutes ago, justD said:

Weams asked me from across the living room to take a look at the draft pool to see if anyone jumped out at me, and why, and then write up a post for the Hangout.

Here ya go :)

For the sake of discussion only, I've picked several who land anywhere from #3 to #315 in various Top Draft Pick lists. 

Jordan Lawlar

SS

Jesuit Prep (TX)

-

-

6' 2" / 190 lbs

R

R

The first name goes without saying. Of course he'll be gone by the time we get a chance to pick, and he might choose to pursue his commitment to Vanderbilt, so I won't provide much detail on him because of that. But Jordan Lawlar would be my number one pick. A high school shortstop who's smooth, hits, and reminds me (and Harold Reynolds) of Carlos Correa.

Henry Davis

C

Louisville

-

-

6' 2" / 210 lbs

R

R

I've heard/read that the Orioles are likely to pick Davis, and that's why he's listed next. Many might say this is a foolish choice with Rutschman in the system; that's not my take, because your “elite talent pipeline” is often as valuable for trades to solidify a contending Major League team as it is to possibly feed your ML roster directly. You always choose the best player available.

But in an interview with Dan O'Dowd on MLB Network, he said some things that I found interesting.

• He says he's intensely competitive, hates to lose.

• Teammates found him annoyingly competitive in college; he pushed them too hard in high school.

• When asked where his biggest opportunities for growth were? He said catching skills. Okay, sure, you're an amateur. But you're being drafted as a catcher. And you think your catching skills are your worst area?

• He went to Yankee games as a kid and wanted that to be him. (That's something I always have to work around ;) )

Harold Reynolds did say he's a good catch-and-throw guy, said he can hit, but he's a great catch and throw guy. So maybe he's too hard on himself as far as his catching skills go.

For the sake of stimulating even more discussion, I'm linking a report that quotes Keith Law's take on Davis, because we all love Keith Law opinions :)

https://www.si.com/college/louisville/othersports/henry-davis-no1-prospect

Nick Maldonado

RHP

Vanderbilt

-

-

6' 1" / 205 lbs

R

R

For consideration further down the draft, Nick caught my attention when he entered the College World Series game following Jack Leiter and proceeded to pitch three scoreless innings on 46 pitches. Some of his stats with Vanderbilt include a K/BB of 8.43, 4 HBP and 4 HR in 51 IP with 59K and only 7 BB. I'm all in on pitchers who command the fastball and don't issue walks. 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/despite-loss-vanderbilt-set-up-well-for-decisive-game-in-cws-finals/

From https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/

Maldonado is part of a Seton Hall Prep (West Orange, NJ) to Vanderbilt pipeline that also includes big leaguer Nick Christiani and 2014 College World Series hero John Norwood. Along with Jack Leiter and CJ Rodriguez, he's one of three second-year freshmen on the Commodores who could factor in the first five rounds of the 2021 Draft. He emerged as Vanderbilt's closer midway through this season and saved clinchers in the regionals and super regionals.

Maldonado's main strikeout weapon is a plus mid-80s slider with depth that he can land in the zone or use as a chase pitch. He sets it up with a 90-94 mph four-seam fastball that tops out at 96 and features some armside run. He'll also mix in an upper-70s curveball to give left-handers a different look.

Recruited as a two-way player who was also a shortstop, Maldonado is a quality athlete and repeats his simple delivery well. Easily the most consistent strike thrower on the Commodores, he could get a chance to work out of the rotation if he returns for a third college season. He's undersized for a starter at 6-foot-1 and 205 pounds, however, and his warrior mentality fits well in a bullpen role.

Jose Torres

SS

North Carolina State

-

-

6' 0" / 171 lbs

R

R

Again for consideration further down in the draft, Torres is one of the few predicted to continue to play SS in MLB. He's smooth, athletic, with good instincts. He reminds me a lot of Machado.

From https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/

Born in the Dominican Republic, Torres ranked as the best prep prospect in Maryland in 2019. He's the third high-profile shortstop to come out of North Carolina State in recent years, following first-rounders Trea Turner (2014) and Will Wilson (2019), but he's a different style of player. He's Draft-eligible as a second-year collegian because he'll be nearly 22 on Draft day.

Torres is the rare college shortstop whom scouts are convinced will play the position in the big leagues. He has smooth actions and covers plenty of ground at short despite fringy pure speed. He has soft, quick hands, not to mention a plus arm and advanced instincts.

Torres has a loose right-handed swing with bat speed and a projectable frame, giving him some deceptive pop, and his ninth-inning homer off Arkansas ace Kevin Kopps in the super regionals sent the Wolfpack to the College World Series. He can get overly aggressive at the plate, though he has done a better job of making consistent contact this spring.

From https://primetimesportstalk.com/2021/06/20/mlb-draft-profile-jose-torres/

The next two picks were spotted on a “sleeper” list:

Will Taylor

OF

Dutch Fork (SC)

-

-

6' 0" / 175 lbs

R

R

From https://www.mlb.com/news/draft-prospects-first-round-sleepers-2021

Taylor may be the Draft’s best three-sport star. He accounted for 32 touchdowns while quarterbacking Dutch Fork to the South Carolina 5-A title last fall -- earning a football scholarship to play wide receiver at Clemson in the process -- and also has won state wrestling championships in the 152- and 160-pound weight classes. He’s more advanced on the diamond than most multi-sport athletes, with impressive feel for hitting and center-field instincts, and he’s also at least a plus-plus runner with developing strength.

From https://theclemsoninsider.com/2021/06/29/huge-honor-for-will-taylor/

Taylor, who enrolled at Clemson on June 24, is the first Gatorade South Carolina Baseball Player of the Year to be chosen from Dutch Fork High School. The award, which recognizes not only outstanding athletic excellence, but also high standards of academic achievement and exemplary character demonstrated on and off the field, distinguishes Taylor as South Carolina’s best high school baseball player. 

Anthony Solometo

LHP

Bishop Eustace (NJ)

-

-

6' 5" / 218 lbs

L

L

From https://lastwordonsports.com/baseball/2021/07/07/anthony-solometo-2021-mlb-draft-profile/

One of the best aspects of his game is his ability to command that fastball, and that helps him get batters out despite the lower velocity.

And finally,

Carson Williams

SS

Torrey Pines (CA)

-

-

6' 2" / 180 lbs

R

R

Carson Williams, SS, Torrey Pines HS (La Jolla, Calif.) (No. 150)
We know what you’re thinking. How is a guy currently at the end of our Top 150 being considered in the first round? Suffice it to say, Williams will move up when we expand and re-rank the list. As more decision-makers have gone in to see Williams in SoCal, he has stood out with his bat speed and loft at the plate, with more power to come from his 6-foot-2 frame, to go along with his easily plus arm that fires 95-mph fastballs from the mound and excellent instincts that should allow him to play shortstop for a long time.

Note that he's now ranked No. 41 on the MLB.com prospect list.

Well done!  I posted a link to a mock in another thread that had us taking Carson Williams with our second pick.  I’d be pretty happy with that.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, justD said:

I've heard/read that the Orioles are likely to pick Davis, and that's why he's listed next. Many might say this is a foolish choice with Rutschman in the system; that's not my take, because your “elite talent pipeline” is often as

Yes. Thanks. 

Thanks D.  i particularly liked the analysis on Henry Davis and Carson Williams.  I'm starting to get used to the possibility that they'll pick Davis - and couldn't blame them.  Absolutely fascinating player.  While it would be so odd to have probably the 2 best catching prospects in baseball, it could work and might make a lot of sense.  It also might extend both of their careers.    

• Upvote 1