2021 1st round pick (5): Colton Cowser - OF - (Junior) Sam Houston University

Look at the guys we have coming up and all we have traded for. We’ve got way more talent than people realize. We’ve got 5 or so guys already waiting in the wings with Baumann, Rodriguez, and Hall being at the top of the list though I’d throw Smith and Braddish in there as well. Now if Leiter were still available, that’s another story but I wasn’t that impressed with Rocker.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But it isn't bargain shopping.

They are still going to spend almost all their draft allotment.

They aren't saving.  They are just giving it to some player further along that isn't as highly regarded.

Clever move …it went so well last year that they should do it again ?

“Undrafted out of high school, Colton Cowser headed off to Sam Houston State and tore the cover off of the ball as a freshman, hitting .361/.450/.602 as a full time starter. He played some third base, left field, right field, and center field that year. This season, though he’s played exclusively in center and he’s taken his offensive performance to the next level – hitting .374/.490/.680 with more walks than strikeouts.

There isn’t a true weakness in his game. He’s an accomplished hitter who projects to hit for a high average. There’s not a ton of raw power for him to grow into down the line, but he’s got 20 home run pop in his bat with maybe a little bit more if everything goes just right. When you toss those in with the fact that he can remain in center on the defensive spectrum and is a plus runner, you are looking at a 5-tool player with a track record of getting it done.”

https://www.redsminorleagues.com/2021/06/23/2021-mlb-draft-scouting-report-colton-cowser/

1 minute ago, lovetoaster said:

“Undrafted out of high school, Colton Cowser headed off to Sam Houston State and tore the cover off of the ball as a freshman, hitting .361/.450/.602 as a full time starter. He played some third base, left field, right field, and center field that year. This season, though he’s played exclusively in center and he’s taken his offensive performance to the next level – hitting .374/.490/.680 with more walks than strikeouts.

There isn’t a true weakness in his game. He’s an accomplished hitter who projects to hit for a high average. There’s not a ton of raw power for him to grow into down the line, but he’s got 20 home run pop in his bat with maybe a little bit more if everything goes just right. When you toss those in with the fact that he can remain in center on the defensive spectrum and is a plus runner, you are looking at a 5-tool player with a track record of getting it done.”

https://www.redsminorleagues.com/2021/06/23/2021-mlb-draft-scouting-report-colton-cowser/

Twenty HR power is plus now?

Is it 1980?

• Haha 1

I'm a bit disappointed when I see comps to Brandon Nimmo and Jim Eisenreich.   Solid players but nothing special.

[INSERT DISCLAIMER:  I know that some first round picks don't make it to the majors at all.   I don't need a lecture from Drungo here.   The fact is, player comps given at draft time generally represent a reasonable representation of players expected up-side potential.   Even though some first rounders won't turn out to be very good, you will never hear someone just drafted in the first round compared to Chito Martinez.    The names given usually are somewhat aspirational, what you would hope the guy will turn into based on what the scouts see now.  And to me, it's usually a better player than Jim Eisenreich].

• Upvote 1

It actually did. Look at the guys we got in the 4th and 5th rounds. Those guys were thought to not be able to be signed but we were able to overpay for their talents on the back of the Heston pick. It’s not our fault that Heston developed myocarditis from well, I won’t go there, but you get what I’m saying.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

I'm a bit disappointed when I see comps to Brandon Nimmo and Jim Eisenreich.   Solid players but nothing special.

[INSERT DISCLAIMER:  I know that some first round picks don't make it to the majors at all.   I don't need a lecture from Drungo here.   The fact is, player comps given at draft time generally represent a reasonable representation of players expected up-side potential.   Even though some first rounders won't turn out to be very good, you will never hear someone just drafted in the first round compared to Chito Martinez.    The names given usually are somewhat aspirational, what you would hope the guy will turn into based on what the scouts see now.  And to me, it's usually a better player than Jim Eisenreich].

I'd probably rather have the guy who's 90% chance to be Eisenreich/Nimmo than a guy with 10% chance to be Carlos Correa. (Not saying those are Cowser/Lawler's chances, just that there's more to it than ceiling)

• Like 1