2021 2nd round pick (41): Connor Norby - 2B - (Junior) East Carolina University

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Terrific numbers, and the competition couldn't have been too bad - considering the Vanderbilt games.  Good defensively according to the scouting reports.  

ECU plays a tough schedule every year even though they play in the AAC.  Always have some big time out of conference weekend series and mid week games against UNC, NC State, Duke etc.

Godwin says Norby’s approach has made him “the best right-handed hitter I’ve ever coached,” and that includes New York Yankees star D.J. LeMahieu when Godwin was an assistant at LSU.

“D.J. has made a heck of a career for himself in the major leagues and won two batting titles,” Godwin adds, “so no disrespect to him, but at the same age Connor is as good as any right-handed hitter I’ve coached.”

D1Baseball.com’s Aaron Fitt, who sees Norby as a first- or second-round pick, says the 21-year-old is “just a natural-born hitter. It felt like every time I saw him he had four hits and a home run or two. … He’s not a huge guy (5 feet 10, 190 pounds), but he’s got good bat speed and is exceptional at driving the ball either way. The hit tool is the calling card, and I think he could be a plus hitter in pro ball.”

https://greensboro.com/sports/east-forsyth-alum-connor-norbys-journey-to-mlb-draft-wasnt-always-smooth/article_17d599b8-de8b-11eb-b4cb-2320355289e3.html

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

So two rounds and we don't get a premium defensive player

A corner OF'er with questionable power

and a 2B

No CF'er, No SS no guys that are going to solidify the Orioles terrible defense

I wonder if a guy playing 2B in college can even stick there in MLB, maybe another COF/DH to add to the logjam

There is belief that Cowser can actually stick to CF and that his speed seems to be improving, or at least able to stay solid to stay in CF. Obviously time will tell. 

With Norby the kid is a 2B. His size just indicates it. He's not big enough honestly to transition anywhere else unless he is a legit .300 hitter, and would you really care where he plays for the O's if he's a starter hitting over .300 in Baltimore?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, osravensfan78 said:

I don’t know a lot about Norby yet, but what I’m seeing and hearing so far this sounds like a good pick. I was surprised we didn’t take a high upside high schooler here, but I’m still hoping for that the next few picks. 

Norby was being profiled as a potential first round selection, so this seems like a good value pick by Elias if Norby ends up developing like a first round pick. 

ECU in the 2021 MLB Draft: What to expect

The 2021 Major League Baseball Draft gets underway on Sunday night and will run through Tuesday, and there's plenty of intrigue from an East Carolina perspective. The Pirates have two candidates to be drafted in Sunday night's first round in the form of right-handed pitcher Gavin Williams and second baseman Connor Norby. Both players have been included as first-round picks in various mock drafts in recent weeks, though neither is seen as a sure slam dunk to go in Round 1.

• Like 1

From the same article I linked above...It's a good read. I like this kid.

“There was never a doubt in my mind that baseball was my calling card,” Norby says. “I have no Plan B. Plan B is for the guys who aren’t confident in Plan A. …

“I plan on living out my dream, and I am going to be in the big leagues one day. I can promise any scout or GM who calls me that I’m going to play in the big leagues one day. I’m going to work my tail off every single day to get there.”

https://greensboro.com/sports/east-forsyth-alum-connor-norbys-journey-to-mlb-draft-wasnt-always-smooth/article_17d599b8-de8b-11eb-b4cb-2320355289e3.html

• Thanks 1

Norby seems like a solid although uninspiring pick.  There is a lot of high upside HS talent sitting there and the O's passed on it.  I am sure we will be told that the HS kid we take in R4 is every bit as good though.

I like that he is a college bat though.  Maybe Elias will promote him to AA by 2024!

O's are going to need to start trading some of these MIers they are accumulating.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Norby was being profiled as a potential first round selection, so this seems like a good value pick by Elias if Norby ends up developing like a first round pick. 

ECU in the 2021 MLB Draft: What to expect

#25 on Fangraphs's final pre-draft rankings:

Full Report

Norby has been quietly sliding up draft boards this spring, and the quality of his at-bats against Kumar Rocker and Jack Leiter during super-regional play cemented his chances of a possible late-first round selection, as he finished the year with a .415/.484/.659 batting line. He’s not a big tools player, but he has a pro-level approach, a feel to hit and enough sneaky pop to be dangerous. Scouts dream on him as an average, but fundamentally sound defender at second base who can hit .280 with double-digits in the home runs and stolen base columns to go with a solid walk rate, while also offering few risks of things going wrong than most picks.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Norby seems like a solid although uninspiring pick.  There is a lot of high upside HS talent sitting there and the O's passed on it.  I am sure we will be told that the HS kid we take in R4 is every bit as good though.

I like that he is a college bat though.  Maybe Elias will promote him to AA by 2024!

Seriously? You’re gonna complain about the #25 prospect being picked at 41? Armchair GMs kill me when it comes to the draft. 

• Like 1