2021 15th round pick (437): Keagan Gillies - RHP - (Senior) Tulane

20 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's a big MFer.

Eu9wz5FXAAAlfpH.jpg

I'm assuming that's him in the picture.  Anyway, looks like he throws hard.

Grad student?  Anyone out there draft eligible for their PHD?  Get 'em, Elias!

Here's all 6' 8" of Keagan.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Bad mechanics?  

His arm drags badly behind his plant foot which screams elbow concerns at some point, but still, nice arm for the 15th round. Why not? No a ton of K's either for this kind of velocity consistency must be an issue. He highlight film is impressive though.

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

His arm drags badly behind his plant foot which screams elbow concerns at some point, but still, nice arm for the 15th round. Why not? No a ton of K's either for this kind of velocity consistency must be an issue. He highlight film is impressive though.

Certainly something to work with.  Maybe all the tech the Os have can help him?

13 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Thats a big hammer curve, 12-6.  Here's hoping this guy can help soon.

I like that he's big, too.  IMO, someone who's 6'8" isn't afraid of much.  I think it's a psychological thing, this guy probably won't be nibbling around the plate.  We see that with Tyler Wells, he's not afraid.  

Mark Hendrickson was 6'9".

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That and his mechanical issues and command are why he was still available in the 15th round. Worth a flier though with an arm like that.

Not sure if this above is inside information or just your logical conclusion. 

As for my speculation, along the lines of what I just now typed in another thread, I think these seniors still have eligibility left and thus still have leverage. It's possible that a guy like this actually has a big number and that's why he fell.

Again, I'm not even certain I'm right, but it seems possible that one or more of our "senior sign" guys are actually akin to previous year's high value juniors. 

58 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Not sure if this above is inside information or just your logical conclusion. 

As for my speculation, along the lines of what I just now typed in another thread, I think these seniors still have eligibility left and thus still have leverage. It's possible that a guy like this actually has a big number and that's why he fell.

Again, I'm not even certain I'm right, but it seems possible that one or more of our "senior sign" guys are actually akin to previous year's high value juniors. 

But I think you are missing the fact that they are not getting younger. Every year over 21 hurts their value although this year that's being overlooked a bit because of the missed COVID year. Can they go back, sure. But at 23 or 24 years old for some, what kind of leverage would they have then? Zero.

At that point it's a matter of whether they want to give pro ball a try or not.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

But I think you are missing the fact that they are not getting younger. Every year over 21 hurts their value although this year that's being overlooked a bit because of the missed COVID year. Can they go back, sure. But at 23 or 24 years old for some, what kind of leverage would they have then? Zero.

At that point it's a matter of whether they want to give pro ball a try or not.

I completely agree. As leverage goes, it probably aligns somewhere like this.

Most to Least 

High School Senior
Draft Eligible Soph.
Draft Eligible Jr. (has another year)
Covid Draft Eligible Senior (has another year, but is older)
Draft Eligible Sr. (out of amateur options)

This year's "seniors" are second from the bottom, so they have more leverage than the pure seniors but are certainly discounted by age.