Mora has minor shoulder surgery; Roberts & Markakis talks slow

Frobby

Orioles third baseman Melvin Mora underwent a minor surgical procedure near his right shoulder late last week and said, "I am fine now."

Team orthopedist John Wilckens removed a tiny, arthritic section of Mora's distal clavicle, which is part of the AC joint in his right shoulder.

He has been instructed not to lift weights until around Jan. 1, but otherwise should have no problem being ready for the start of spring training.

"It was very minor and we don't anticipate it having any impact on his availability whatsoever," said club president Andy MacPhail.

Mora, 36, believes he first injured the shoulder last spring training while diving for a ball. It continually nagged him throughout the year and he received a cortisone shot at the All-Star break to relieve the pain.

Nick Markakis acknowledged that his agent, Jamie Murphy, has been talking "back and forth" with MacPhail about a contract extension on his behalf. However, Markakis, the team's star right fielder who is eligible for arbitration this offseason, said that the two sides have taken only "baby steps."

"It's real slow right now," Markakis said. "It's been a slow-moving process."

Asked if he'd like the negotiations to move faster, Markakis said, "It doesn't matter to me whether it's done fast or slow. I just want it done right."

MacPhail backed Markakis' assessment, saying, "I would say we're still in the opening stages. It's one of those things where if the two parties are motivated to do something you generally find a common ground. We'll see. We're still talking in terms of length and duration. We haven't thrown any numbers around."

MacPhail conceded that discussions with Markakis are farther along than the club's extension talks with Brian Roberts, who will be a free agent after the 2009 season. The Orioles have informed Roberts' representation that they'd like to discuss a long-term deal with the second baseman but have not talked specifics. Roberts was traveling and unable to attend today's rally.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-mora112,0,7491814.story

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MacPhail backed Markakis' assessment, saying, "I would say we're still in the opening stages. It's one of those things where if the two parties are motivated to do something you generally find a common ground. We'll see. We're still talking in terms of length and duration. We haven't thrown any numbers around."
Sounds like they haven't got passed how many years at this point for Markakis. This contract negotiation must be setting a record for useless discussions.

The good news here is that it sounds like a Markakis deal will get done. It's just gonig to be a slow, arduous process. Big surprise there! :rolleyes:

That's extremely bad news on the Roberts front though. I'm now more confident than ever that BRob has played his last game as an Oriole.

Yeah, I gotta tell ya I much prefer the Walmart shopping as opposed to Car Dealership shopping...

Here's what we're prepared to pay you, here's how long, and here's how we arrived at that solution....

instead of...

We're thinking (lowball) something in the neighborhood of 5-6 years....

...................... How much money are you talking about

Well, we'd prefer to come to an agreement on the years first

..................... Well, we're thinking more in the neighborhood of 10 years

I'll get back with you.

Blah!

The good news here is that it sounds like a Markakis deal will get done. It's just gonig to be a slow, arduous process. Big surprise there! :rolleyes:

That's extremely bad news on the Roberts front though. I'm now more confident than ever that BRob has played his last game as an Oriole.

The longer it takes usually the less likely it gets done IMO. As for Roberts I feel that the best course of action is to try to trade him now while his value is still high. If we try trading him at the deadline we aren't going to get nearly enough back for him. If we aren't going to be competing until 2010 or 11 then Roberts will be past his prime. IMO extending is not a great idea.

What the hell?

I can understand BRob's negotiations being slow for many reasons.

I don't understand the slowness for Markakis...It is obvious he wants to sign here, so that isn't the issue.

All that needs to be determined is how many years is Markakis willing to sign for?

The negotiations for this should take about 5 minutes.

Andy MacPhail can't be that clueless to the point where he doesn't know what Markakis's peers are getting and what it will take to extend him.

At this point, Nick has to have an idea of how many FA years he is willing to give up to stay here in Baltimore. Whatever that number is, you meet it and end this.

It is beyond absurd that this wasn't done last offseason, last July, before the season ended or by today.

What the hell?

I can understand BRob's negotiations being slow for many reasons.

I don't understand the slowness for Markakis...It is obvious he wants to sign here, so that isn't the issue.

All that needs to be determined is how many years is Markakis willing to sign for?

The negotiations for this should take about 5 minutes.

Andy MacPhail can't be that clueless to the point where he doesn't know what Markakis's peers are getting and what it will take to extend him.

At this point, Nick has to have an idea of how many FA years he is willing to give up to stay here in Baltimore. Whatever that number is, you meet it and end this.

It is beyond absurd that this wasn't done last offseason, last July, before the season ended or by today.

It's that second sentence for MacPhail that makes me think Markakis isn't as motivated as you think he is to stay here:

It's one of those things where if the two parties are motivated to do something you generally find a common ground. We'll see.

Sounds to me like MacPhail is saying that Markakis' side isn't really into signing an extension right now. And with the money he can make in three years, I wouldn't blame him given this team's direction. Who wants to be part of a rebuilding team? As long as he stays healthy he can bolt for a contender in a few seasons for 15+ million a season.

Make some moves to show you are serious about winning soon, and then Markakis may be a little bit more motivated to get something done.

Why, because you want it to be? You are always so quick to point out when anyone else is seeing what they want it to see, even when they couch it in "it seems like" or "I think," yet you present your wishes as facts. The only thing Markakis has stated publicly about his desires is that he wants to be compensated fairly.

Discussing both length and duration: multitasking the MacPhail way!

I don't want to ring the fire bell, but I'm just not sure why the Markakis process would take long. I'm open to thoughts...

Would McPhail drag negotiations on with both Roberts and Markakis in an effort to wave a white flag and trade both?

Yikes - I hope not.

I think if we learned anything from last offseason, it's that AM is painfully slow and deliberate. If he stays true to form, we will still be having this conversation in February 2009. I think the Markakis extension should be a slam dunk, but I'm not holding my breath.

Archived