2021 20th round pick (587): Trendon Craig - OF - (Sophomore) Louisburg College

Craig, meanwhile, was named National Junior College Athletic Association Region 10 player of the year by the region’s coaches after batting .420 with 14 homers, 55 RBIs and 28 stolen bases in 41 games as a sophomore.

“He’s an all-around player,” Herring said. “He can hit for power, hit for average. He has speed, defensive ability. The only kink, if you could call it that, is that he doesn’t have the strongest throwing arm in center field. But that doesn’t limit him.”

https://fredericksburg.com/sports/baseball/lambros-craig-expect-to-hear-their-names-called-in-mlb-draft/article_95e9ba8c-12c0-5eb7-a6f9-73357d6e1a2a.html

Neither player volunteered how much money or which round it would take to convince him to sign immediately, but playing professionally has been a lifetime goal for both.

Said Herring: “The reality is, [Craig] really wants to play pro ball, and if it’s the round and the money he wants, I think there’s a good chance he’ll sign.”

https://fredericksburg.com/sports/baseball/lambros-craig-expect-to-hear-their-names-called-in-mlb-draft/article_95e9ba8c-12c0-5eb7-a6f9-73357d6e1a2a.html

51 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

This might be a bit of an overslot, but not what I was hoping for today.

He actually does seem like a good prospect.  Too bad he's not a pitcher.  Gotta wonder if he chooses to go to college because of all the OFers the O's picked ahead of him.  

On 7/13/2021 at 2:32 PM, lovetoaster said:

As the early $$$ returns hint maybe Craig is mystery millionaire, I just read this link closely for the first time.    The other local profiled - his agent gave a quote he could be anywhere 3rd to 15th round, though who knows whether Craig is similarly good.   He was at least good enough to get co-billing from the local reporter who did this story.

The last paragraph singled out the Orioles being especially interested, which proved out, and I noticed he did play some of his high school ball here in Maryland.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

As the early $$$ returns hint maybe Craig is mystery millionaire, I just read this link closely for the first time.    The other local profiled - his agent gave a quote he could be anywhere 3rd to 15th round, though who knows whether Craig is similarly good.  

The article says Craig was expected to go between the 7th to 12th round.   It mentions that 7th rounders get about $244 k.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The article says Craig was expected to go between the 7th to 12th round.   It mentions that 7th rounders get about $244 k.   

The starting point is 125K right? 

I could see burning 100-150K of surplus on this kid.

I don't see him being a mystery millionaire.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

The starting point is 125K right? 

I could see burning 100-150K of surplus on this kid.

I don't see him being a mystery millionaire.

I could imagine a scenario where he gets $400-$500 k, which is in the range of a 4th rounder, if they really like him.   Hard to see that he could possibly get more than that, and quite possibly less.   But it seemed clear from the article that he had a number in mind that it would take to pry him away from his NC State commitment, and I’m guessing that if we drafted him, we did it knowing we’d pay that number.   

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I could imagine a scenario where he gets $400-$500 k, which is in the range of a 4th rounder, if they really like him.   Hard to see that he could possibly get more than that, and quite possibly less.   But it seemed clear from the article that he had a number in mind that it would take to pry him away from his NC State commitment, and I’m guessing that if we drafted him, we did it knowing we’d pay that number.   

Gray Fenter got $1M in 2015 from the 7 slot (value $178K) right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_Fenter

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It was a 20th round pick.  It might have been with the idea he'd come down off that number to some degree.

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It was a 20th round pick.  It might have been with the idea he'd come down off that number to some degree.

Or they may have been waiting until the last round to see if they’d have enough cash left over to pay the man.   We don’t really know what his number is, but I’d imagine we didn’t draft him without knowing we had a deal.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Or they may have been waiting until the last round to see if they’d have enough cash left over to pay the man.   We don’t really know what his number is, but I’d imagine we didn’t draft him without knowing we had a deal.  

I think you hold the value of a 20th round pick a bit higher than I do.

I could see a team taking a flyer in the 20th hoping a guy's price drops.