2021 20th round pick (587): Trendon Craig - OF - (Sophomore) Louisburg College

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think you hold the value of a 20th round pick a bit higher than I do.

I could see a team taking a flyer in the 20th hoping a guy's price drops.

Zach Davies was a 26th round pick who got a $575 k bonus.

Seems to me if you are making your last pick and believe you have X dollars available to spend, you try to sign the best player available who will sign for X or less, unless you simply don’t think there’s anyone out there worth X.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Zach Davies was a 26th round pick who got a $575 k bonus.

Seems to me if you are making your last pick and believe you have X dollars available to spend, you try to sign the best player available who will sign for X or less, unless you simply don’t think there’s anyone out there worth X.

That was 2011 under the previous system.

Apples to oranges.

Craig is a good example for me to appreciate it with my team, but I heard an interview with an NCAA coach about how they are on pins and needles as much as the kids during the draft because they of course compete to recruit the preps/JuCos who aren't quite tooled up enough that at 18 years old the Clubs might not fight hard for them.

If I'm NC State's coach watching Craig's Day 2/Day 3, feeling like each round I'm a step closer to getting a talented guy to campus, only to get sniped in the 20th round, that would suck.

Obviously Craig's 7.11.2000 demographics as a juco a little different.   The link below is explicit that NC State's offer was a 2-year deal.  

This post-selection story from the neighborhood paper has Al Bumbry and John Means name drops.

https://fredericksburg.com/sports/baseball/professional/w-l-grad-craig-finds-it-breathtaking-to-be-drafted-by-orioles/article_88d5843c-4651-5e57-8714-9dff74a7e5dd.html

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That was 2011 under the previous system.

Apples to oranges.

Is it really that different?  Either way you are signing a guy who slipped to a relatively late round of the draft because other teams didn’t meet his number in the rounds where his talent would have indicated he be picked.   The only difference is now there are factors that limit the ability to do that.   But, the O’s would seem to have the money.  

Just so that we don’t get too far off on a tangent here: I am not saying I’m expecting Craig’s signing number to be as high as $400 - $500 k.   I’m just saying I can envision scenarios where that happens, and it wouldn’t floor me if it occurred.  We’ll see what happens — all will be revealed by August 1.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Is it really that different?  Either way you are signing a guy who slipped to a relatively late round of the draft because other teams didn’t meet his number in the rounds where his talent would have indicated he be picked.   The only difference is now there are factors that limit the ability to do that.   But, the O’s would seem to have the money.  

Just so that we don’t get too far off on a tangent here: I am not saying I’m expecting Craig’s signing number to be as high as $400 - $500 k.   I’m just saying I can envision scenarios where that happens, and it wouldn’t floor me if it occurred.  We’ll see what happens — all will be revealed by August 1.

I'm not saying that it might be just as you suggested.  I'm just open to the idea that they might be hoping his number drops and his signing not being a given.

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not saying that it might be just as you suggested.  I'm just open to the idea that they might be hoping his number drops and his signing not being a given.

Maybe Elias doesn't have a high enough opinion of his negotiating skill per transaction :)