Ciolek comments on strategy re drafting pitchers

From Steve Melewski:

Ciolek was asked about the selections today of so many college pitchers and how many of them - all of them, really - are right-handed.

“In terms of handedness, that is kind of a secondary factor,” he said. “We’re just looking for guys that throw strikes, throw a lot of strikes. Get more strikeouts than walks and also guys that have some secondary weapons that we might be able to hone in on and improve, in terms of an arsenal. So, a lot of these guys check those boxes and we’re really happy with the group of arms we got today.”

“We spend a lot of time looking at these college pitching prospects,” Ciolek said. “I know a lot of people say, ‘You kind of wait a little bit to take them.’ But that is because of all the research that we do, and we do the best job possible in order to slot them to where we think we can get them. Very confident in that strategy so far, knock on wood, it’s boded well and hopefully it continues to bode well for us.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/07/os-select-righty-dylan-heid-in-round-11-of-the-draft.html

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It has boded well?  By what evidence? 

Good question.   Delmarva has the best ERA in the Low A East, but Aberdeen and Norfolk are basically league average and Bowie is below average.  I can’t say I see any pitcher we drafted in 2019 who screams major league pitcher to me based on performance to date.  

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Good question.   Delmarva has the best ERA in the Low A East, but Aberdeen and Norfolk are basically league average and Bowie is below average.  I can’t say I see any pitcher we drafted in 2019 who screams major league pitcher to me based on performance to date.  

I just had to look at that myself, and it's pretty disappointing to put it lightly.

Add in Baumler having TJ surgery already and that's two straight drafts with no real bright spots from drafted pitchers.

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

How long did the meeting last where they determined they should draft pitchers with good secondary pitches and those who K more than they BB?  

Did they crunch numbers for a while with that one or what?

tenor.gif?itemid=5822639

• Haha 1