Potential Intl signing: Braylin Tavera

Sports Guy

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Glad they’re moving up the ladder in terms of competing for top prospects down there, but $1.5 - $2 mm for a guy with “average tools” other than speed?  Hope they’re wrong that that’s all he’s got.   

How many of those average tools will blossom into better than average? Kid's 16. There's a reason he's ranked this high. This is a weirdly downer take for the info presented. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think they are saying he has ML average tools at 16.

I don't think so either, but he's got an above average speed tool and any hit tools at age 16 are kind of meaningless. The fact they are average to me means he's got a good foundation to build on. Not saying I don't hope the O's target higher ranked/more expensive guys, because obviously I do. 

Can't get enthusiastic about a guy named Braylin.  Sounds like one of those names that uppity people in the burbs are naming their kids these days.  Braylin, Kylin, Kashtyn, Adyn, Jaidyn, whatever.  I hadn't thought that this terrible pandemic had reached the Dominican Republic but I guess I'm wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Glad they’re moving up the ladder in terms of competing for top prospects down there, but $1.5 - $2 mm for a guy with “average tools” other than speed?  Hope they’re wrong that that’s all he’s got.   

I had the same thought.

Nothing says Wow!! like the adjective "average-ish" .  But that's just me commenting on someone I know nothing about and based on someone else's description.  I hope he can help.

I also had to do a double-take when it talked about his time of 6.47 seconds.  I'm used to seeing 40-yard dash times for football players and I thought to myself "That is slower than all but the very slowest linemen".  Then I re-read the line and realized that was a 60-yard dash time and felt better.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't think so either, but he's got an above average speed tool and any hit tools at age 16 are kind of meaningless. The fact they are average to me means he's got a good foundation to build on. Not saying I don't hope the O's target higher ranked/more expensive guys, because obviously I do. 

It's certainly an improvement over a few years ago but that is about as bland and uninteresting a writeup as you will find.  One plus tool that he might grow out of and the same position they just stocked up on in the draft.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Can't get enthusiastic about a guy named Braylin.  Sounds like one of those names that uppity people in the burbs are naming their kids these days.  Braylin, Kylin, Kashtyn, Adyn, whatever.  I hadn't thought that this terrible pandemic had reached the Dominican Republic but I guess I'm wrong.

If pronounced correctly, his name is bry - LEAN

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Can't get enthusiastic about a guy named Braylin.  Sounds like one of those names that uppity people in the burbs are naming their kids these days.  Braylin, Kylin, Kashtyn, Adyn, whatever.  I hadn't thought that this terrible pandemic had reached the Dominican Republic but I guess I'm wrong.

Jasson says hello.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Can't get enthusiastic about a guy named Braylin.  Sounds like one of those names that uppity people in the burbs are naming their kids these days.  Braylin, Kylin, Kashtyn, Adyn, Jaidyn, whatever.  I hadn't thought that this terrible pandemic had reached the Dominican Republic but I guess I'm wrong.

When I saw the name Braylin, my initial thought was the Orioles were going back to the well in Aruba for more international talent. 

Braylin sounds like the name of some arrogant D-1 college lacrosse player. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol…recently people we’re complaining  that we weren’t signing people ranked high enough, now we are likely to sign the highest ranked guy the team ever has and spend the most money on one player that the team has and it’s still an issue.

You cant make this sh** up!

I just think the name is softer than puppy ****.

Kids 16 years old, I'm fine with giving him a million or two rather than some dumb FA that won't help move the needle.