MASN All Access Podcast: Making Sense of the O’s Draft Strategy

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It was actually pretty interesting.  They went through a lot of the picks and their strengths and weaknesses.  

I'm about 11 minutes in, are they trying to suggest that the outfielders the O's took early might move off of the corner outfield to something more difficult on the defensive spectrum?

Edit- Would you call the O's farm system "stacked" with pitching?

Edit2- The college pitchers picked on day three are "Big swings"?  Really?

Edit3- Evidently these guys are unaware of the reputation Elias and company have for using analytics and mechanical adjustments to help hitters?   Have they not heard the the swing angle revolution?

Sorry Frobby these guys seem to be tools.

31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm about 11 minutes in, are they trying to suggest that the outfielders the O's took early might move off of the corner outfield to something more difficult on the defensive spectrum?

Edit3- Evidently these guys are unaware of the reputation Elias and company have for using analytics and mechanical adjustments to help hitters?   Have they not heard the the swing angle revolution?

I tuned out after they cited JC Encarnacion as an example of the O's attempting to get their players to play multiple positions.  No mention that he was cut over a month ago.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Whatever.  I was listening at 2:30 am after waking up and having trouble falling back asleep.   So I wasn’t listening with as critical an ear as you apparently are/were.  I’m sure I missed parts of it dozing but I was at least semi-awake for most of it.   

Yeah I noticed the comment too about the O's minor league system being "stacked" with pitching.  Made me raise an eyebrow. 

Norfolk is ranked 14th / 20th in team ERA.

Bowie is 8th / 12th.

Aberdeen is 9th / 12th.

Delmarva is 2nd / 12th.

All of these are just in their respective leagues.   It would take a little bit more effort to rank them against all the teams, but i think the trend is evident enough.  Maybe they were just specifically praising the Shorebirds?   They cited Gray Rod, Hall, etc as examples though.

2 hours ago, Aglets said:

All of these are just in their respective leagues.   It would take a little bit more effort to rank them against all the teams, but i think the trend is evident enough.  Maybe they were just specifically praising the Shorebirds?   They cited Gray Rod, Hall, etc as examples though.

I dunno. I'd rather have GrayRod and four non-prospect pitchers in my farm system than five Kevin Smiths

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I dunno. I'd rather have GrayRod and four non-prospect pitchers in my farm system than five Kevin Smiths

I don't think anyone is arguing that point, though.  I'm sure we are all excited to have GrayRod in our system.  Having 2 or 3 high upside prospects across 4 teams though doesn't seem to mean that your whole system is "stacked" with pitching talent imho.  Even with GrayRod having an amazing 2.04 ERA so far at Bowie........that isn't enough to boost the Baysox to even be league average.

23 hours ago, Aglets said:

Yeah I noticed the comment too about the O's minor league system being "stacked" with pitching.  Made me raise an eyebrow. 

Norfolk is ranked 14th / 20th in team ERA.

Bowie is 8th / 12th.

Aberdeen is 9th / 12th.

Delmarva is 2nd / 12th.

The funny thing is the Shorebirds don't really have a top 20 prospect on the staff.

The system is not stacked with pitching.

Grayson and Hall (who is injured) are the cream of the crop, then there's guys like Baumann, Bradish (who I'm cooler on than most apparently), Knight and Rom.

After that they kind of stack up with 4th/5th starter type with guys like Smith(who has big time reliever vibes for me), Lowther, Brnovich and Wells leading the next tier of "starters" and Bautista and Peralta (even though he's starting now) leading the relievers.

After that they really stack up into potential 5th starters maybe??? Peak, Stallings, Bishop and Young probably fall into this category with relievers vibes for Feliz, Pinto and of course Vespi. It's too early to know anything really about Ortiz in the FCL.

Moore, Sedlock, Denoyer, and Stauffer (stuff is not really that good overall) are very fringe guys.

Anyone that thinks the system is "stacked" with pitching is either providing organizational fluff or not very knowledgeable about minor league prospect evaluations. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

These are two young guys who do an ok job, honestly. They have opinions, and they are sometimes critical of the organization, but it isn’t way out of the company line. I listen to them each week, but honestly, they’re not that knowledgeable or insightful compared to others out there. 

The On The Verge Pod is much much better. Those three guys have been great covering the minor leagues. I don’t always agree with everything, but they are very good. And Locked On Orioles Pod is a good solid daily pod Monday through Friday.

• Thanks 1