What would it take for the Cubs to land B-Rob this year?

GotNitro

Not a very compelling argument when you yourself admit that similar pitchers will be getting similar contracts on the open market.

That's just the going rate for league-averagish backend innings-eaters.

I would imagine that SG's point is that it's a bad contract when you pay league-rates for back-end/inning eating veterans when you should be able to find low cost substitutes.

If the only people putting those contracts out there are ill-informed or desperate then it doesn't matter what the market says. It's just a market full of bad contracts.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not a very compelling argument when you yourself admit that similar pitchers will be getting similar contracts on the open market.

That argument assumes the "league-averagish backend innings-eaters" will sign for "the going rate" with a franchise that has not posted a winning record since 1997. A trade avoids the Orioles' less desirable bargaining position in the bidding for a free agent.

If I was Hendry the names I'd be floating would be Hill, Fontenot, Cedeno, Wuertz, Veal.

Maybe Nate Spears' name comes up. His production in the pitching-friendly Southern League suggests he looks like he could have a decent future in MLB.

Kevin Hart is another former O that could be returned to the nest.

Marquis, sure.

I'd probably do Hill,Fontenot,Cedeno & Veal!

Ugh. I would not want that trade. We would get quantity, not quality

Hill will probably rebound from last season

Fontenot & Cedeno take over at SS &2B

Veal would be ok as the 4th guy ...he has struggled at AA 2 straight years.

Fontenot replaces Roberts - leadoff skills....Had a pretty good year for the Cubs

Cedeno is much better than our SS's & If he improves with the bat ...Who knows

No, the going rate for a guy like Byrd, if he gets 1 year, isn't going to be 10 million.

It is likely to be in the 5-7 range for 1 year, or what Marquis would be after taking on Walker.

No!:no:

Go Away Cubs!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angryfire:

Relax Cindy, it will be okay. :) I like Brian and personally I would like us to sign him to an extension if he is willing. I started the thread because I miss the speculation we had last year and I think it gives us a good opportunity to learn about some of the other teams' players. I think there's a good chance he will be here for at least one more year.

That's a terrible deal for the Orioles.

Hill easily becomes our 2nd best starter & might actually be pretty good.

Fontenot's OPS was pretty +900...He hit 9 homers in 1/2 a season. He's 28 & would fill the created hole in 2B.

Cedeno is better than any SS we used last year & actually has some potential. He might well not hit ...but we can afford to be more patient than the Cubs.

Veal .... I imagine you could swop him for something else...maybe a little more high end.

Fontenot's OPS was pretty +900...He hit 9 homers in 1/2 a season. He's 28 & would fill the created hole in 2B.

Cedeno is better than any SS we used last year & actually has some potential. He might well not hit ...but we can afford to be more patient than the Cubs.

Veal .... I imagine you could swop him for something else...maybe a little more high end.

Hill is a great buy low guy but he is a train wreck right now. His value isn't that high, especially to be the front man in a deal for an elite second baseman.

Cedeno is fine but he probably has a better chance of being a UTI guy than an everyday SS...Still, i wouldn't mind getting him and finding out....We could likely get a better upside guy in Hu and not have to give up BRob.

Fontenot is ok but you can always find players like him...his numbers are a little flukish and IIRC, his defense is suspect.

Roberts + X for Hill, Pie, Thomas and Cedeno.

Fill in the x with something reasonable and I'm down with this trade. Am I asking for too much? Hill and Pie had bad years. Cedeno's a stop gap at best and Thomas also had a relatively down year.

Roberts + X for Hill, Pie, Thomas and Cedeno.

Fill in the x with something reasonable and I'm down with this trade. Am I asking for too much? Hill and Pie had bad years. Cedeno's a stop gap at best and Thomas also had a relatively down year.

For the record i have zero interest in Pie

I assume you mean Tony Thomas the SS prospect ...I'd actually pass on him

I'd expect Hill, Cedeno, Mateo,Jeff Samardzija & Fontenot for Roberts & Scott

Archived