I’m about ready to give up on DJ Stewart

kidrock

7 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

He hits for power in spurts. His OPS is heavy on the OBP due to crazy ability to walk. He is (IMHO) an AAAA player. But my point was more that he really is a one trick pony and he doesn't provide enough offense to be a DH (on a competitive team) and is horrendous on the bases and in the field. Which eliminates him from being a bench player. He won't(shouldn't) be here when the O's are competitive. 

And with the changes to the outfield at OPACY, I really don’t want to see Stewart attempting to play defense in the outfield. 

11 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

And with the changes to the outfield at OPACY, I really don’t want to see Stewart attempting to play defense in the outfield. 

It might be entertaining but not in a good way. Kind of like watching a NASCAR race waiting for the crash. 

2 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

It might be entertaining but not in a good way. Kind of like watching a NASCAR race waiting for the crash. 

It’s worth mentioning that the O’s have played Stewart in the field more often at home than on the road in each year of his career:

2018 - 8 of 13 at home

2019 - 21 of 35

2020 - 18 of 31

2021 - 43 of 72

By contrast, last year 8 of 12 DH starts were on the road    So, it does seem to suggest that the O’s were more comfortable using Stewart in the field in their cozy home park than they were when they were on the road.  (Stewart had only DH’d three times in 2018-20 combined, all at home.)

Still, it’s not like Stewart has never roamed a larger outfield.

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think we have to remember that Hays and Santander are injury prone  and that is the reason that Stewart  or a replacement needs to stay in the organization.  At least until  Stowers in ready for the majors.

Injuries can happen to any player, and so any team has to be prepared in case a couple of OFs sustain injuries.  

Here’s a number for you: of all the outfielders in MLB, Hays ranked 27th in innings played in the OF last year.   Plenty of teams had to fill in for outfielders more than the O’s filled in for Hays.   

It is important to remember that being better than a large percentage of the other guys drafted in the same spot doesn’t make you a success. Making it to the big leagues is an accomplishment, and no mistake, but we can’t call it success: rather, it’s merely another, albeit very large, rung on the ladder to success.

So DJ hasn’t been successful. He has accomplished some goals, definitely, but no one can call him a success. 
but that’s ok. I’m happy to send him on his way and give the job to Stowers. Not because Stowers is a sure fire success, but because he is a question mark, and DJ is not. I’d much rather let Stowers have the ABs. He may end up no better than DJ, but at least we will know.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

Injuries can happen to any player, and so any team has to be prepared in case a couple of OFs sustain injuries.  

Here’s a number for you: of all the outfielders in MLB, Hays ranked 27th in innings played in the OF last year.   Plenty of teams had to fill in for outfielders more than the O’s filled in for Hays.   

If memory serves he played hurt for probably half on those innings and did not play that well while hurt.  When he is well he hit like an All Star.

8 hours ago, Philip said:

It is important to remember that being better than a large percentage of the other guys drafted in the same spot doesn’t make you a success. Making it to the big leagues is an accomplishment, and no mistake, but we can’t call it success: rather, it’s merely another, albeit very large, rung on the ladder to success.

So DJ hasn’t been successful. He has accomplished some goals, definitely, but no one can call him a success. 
but that’s ok. I’m happy to send him on his way and give the job to Stowers. Not because Stowers is a sure fire success, but because he is a question mark, and DJ is not. I’d much rather let Stowers have the ABs. He may end up no better than DJ, but at least we will know.

I disagree with you on two fronts:

1.  “No one can call him a success.”   Sure someone can.   Success is a relative term.   He’s more successful than most.   Let me ask, do you consider yourself a success in your profession?   How many musicians are better than you?   Hundreds?   Thousands?

2.   Stowers “is a question mark, but DJ is not.”   I don’t think we know everything there is to know about Stewart.   I guarantee you I couid come up with a long list of players who had less success than Stewart through age 27 and 619 PA, who turned out to have pretty good careers.   Sure, there are things we know  - that he’s not a good defensive player, that he has more swing and miss than we’d like - that limit his upside.   But we are talking about a guy whose performance has fluctuated a lot in his four years, who has played hurt at times.   Would I be shocked to see Stewart pop out a .250/.350/.450 season?   Nope.   I don’t expect it, but it’s not remote, either.

I said in another post I think Stowers has about a 60% chance of being a better hitter than Stewart.  The uncertainty isn’t just that we don’t know what Stowers is capable of.   It’s also that we don’t know for sure what Stewart is capable of.

So, while I wouldn’t be surprised to see Stowers supplant Stewart, there are reasons to just let things play out and not force premature decisions, IMO.

Stewart is an old 27/28. He’s not a fluid athlete. He Carrys around a lot of weight due to his small frame.  He’s a DH. Santander is a DH. We’re non competitive so we can run them out there in the field but this is the last year we see either in the field. Hopefully, we trade Mancini and Santander at the deadline for whatever we can get and then hand over the RF keys to Stowers. Stowers can get everyday ABs to sink or swim. 

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

I disagree with you on two fronts:

1.  “No one can call him a success.”   Sure someone can.   Success is a relative term.   He’s more successful than most.   Let me ask, do you consider yourself a success in your profession?   How many musicians are better than you?   Hundreds?   Thousands?

2.   Stowers “is a question mark, but DJ is not.”   I don’t think we know everything there is to know about Stewart.   I guarantee you I couid come up with a long list of players who had less success than Stewart through age 27 and 619 PA, who turned out to have pretty good careers.   Sure, there are things we know  - that he’s not a good defensive player, that he has more swing and miss than we’d like - that limit his upside.   But we are talking about a guy whose performance has fluctuated a lot in his four years, who has played hurt at times.   Would I be shocked to see Stewart pop out a .250/.350/.450 season?   Nope.   I don’t expect it, but it’s not remote, either.

I said in another post I think Stowers has about a 60% chance of being a better hitter than Stewart.  The uncertainty isn’t just that we don’t know what Stowers is capable of.   It’s also that we don’t know for sure what Stewart is capable of.

So, while I wouldn’t be surprised to see Stowers supplant Stewart, there are reasons to just let things play out and not force premature decisions, IMO.

Well, I think that's kind of the point: We know enough to know that even in the most optimistic scenario, Stewart isn't a very useful player.

Even with that 800 OPS he's not a nugget.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Well, I think that's kind of the point: We know enough to know that even in the most optimistic scenario, Stewart isn't a very useful player.

Even with that 800 OPS he's not a nugget.

At .800 OPS, almost anyone would be a nugget.   

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

At .800 OPS, almost anyone would be a nugget.   

Someone earlier brought up Pedro Alvarez's 2016 season as a best case scenario earlier.  Pedro put up an .826 OPS and was worth .9 WAR that year...I don't consider that a nugget.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Big Mac below makes my point.  An 800 OPS with negative value everywhere else, pretty extreme negative value at that, isn't very valuable at all.

Depends if they have anyone better to DH. Next year they'll have Mancini. Im not really expecting Stewart to morph into an .800 OPS player though.

10 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Depends if they have anyone better to DH. Next year they'll have Mancini. Im not really expecting Stewart to morph into an .800 OPS player though.

I'm not advocating getting rid of Stewart- yet.  He deserves another chance.  But I'd be absolutely shocked if he became a valuable ML player.  And I don't consider 800 OPS LH DH, with negative defensive and baserunning value, to be valuable.