I’m about ready to give up on DJ Stewart

kidrock

2 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Jose had the skill to turn his into a homerun.   DJ just got a concussion and missed lots of playing time.  

Go back and watch the DJ play again and tell me you see the skills of a big leaguer there.  

I see a play that could happen to a lot of guys.  Using one dumb play to determine something like that is absurd.

Go back in 2020 at his amazing stretch at the plate and tell me that he’s not a big leaguer.  I’m sure you could pull anyone off the street and have him accomplish what DJ did in that stretch, right?

Stewart is in that catch-22. These patient guys need regular AB's to hit but he doesn't hit so he can't get regular AB's. It's probably never going to happen for him in Baltimore but don't be surprised if he goes somewhere and turns into a solid contributor if he could ever get regular AB's somehow. I think Japan could be a great move for him. Put up some big numbers over there and come back. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I see a play that could happen to a lot of guys.  Using one dumb play to determine something like that is absurd.

Go back in 2020 at his amazing stretch at the plate and tell me that he’s not a big leaguer.  I’m sure you could pull anyone off the street and have him accomplish what DJ did in that stretch, right?

Chito Martinez looked good for a month was well.  

11 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Chito Martinez looked good for a month was well.  

Chito was a tad better putting up a 126 OPS+ in 228 plate appearances in 1991 over DJ Stewart putting up a 119 OPS+ in 2020 over 112 plate appearances. 

DJ's ability to hit for even a .250 batting average has held him back from getting regular playing time in MLB. 

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

Ewww. McKenna is not a ML hitter. He is fine as a 9th inning defensive replacement or a pinch runner but he shouldn’t be holding a bat, unless he’s giving it to someone else. 

DJ can stick around until he’s out of options. It’s not like we’ve got guys beating down the doors to replace him on the 40 man. But he’s a AAAA player at this point. 

DJ has an option left which may not be used this season.  I think this fall there will be players that will squeeze him off the  Rule 5 protection roster.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

It was a very week draft that year. Look at the 1st and 2nd rounds of that draft and it has not paid off very well.

As for Stewart, this post would be more surprising if some HAD hope for him. Stewart is exactly who he is at this point. He's a guy who take a professional at bat with some occasional pop but who is very streaky, will never hit for a high average, and is a well below average outfielder where ever you put him.

He night have a little value as a pinch hitter in the National League unless they go to universal DH, then he's probably better off trying out Japan. He will be DFA'd before the 40-man is set next this winter.

I’d say he’s been significantly worse than I hoped he’d be this year, and it’s not just me.   Stewart came into this season with a .224/.334/.433 line over three partial seasons, and a minor league line of .255/.358/.432.   Given where he is on the age/experience curve, I think it was pretty reasonable to think he’d be in the .750-.790 range.   If you look at the pre-season projections for him from ZiPS, PECOTA, etc., they run from a low of .719 to a high of .764.   So, his current .649 is well below expectations.   He can kind of play a role for a team as a .750ish guy, but he really provides no value as a .650ish guy.   I’d also add that, based on some reports I’d read when he was in the minors, I’d hoped that some of past his defensive foibles were just SSS events that made him look worse than he really was, but he’s looked bad in a bigger sample this year.   

12 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

To be fair, we picked 25th (out of 26 teams) in the first round of the 2015 draft, and there weren’t a whole lot of quality players taken subsequent to that. It wasn’t like picking Hobgood over Mike Trout in 2009. 

Agree 100% but when in doubt and no clear prospect, I would always go pitching. Elias is gun shy on that front (and of course he didn't pick Stewart).

3 hours ago, Oriole1940 said:

I really like his attitude, hustle, etc.  But I have to hope he hits it big in Japan or elsewhere and glad he had some time in the Majors.  

He's the kind of guy who could go to Korea or possibly Japan and make $1M a year and hit .300 with 25 homers.  But I don't know if he has the willingness or the personality to go live for years in a different culture.

19 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He's the kind of guy who could go to Korea or possibly Japan and make $1M a year and hit .300 with 25 homers.  But I don't know if he has the willingness or the personality to go live for years in a different culture.

He couldn't hit .300 in Japan.  If he could, he'd be useful here.

He's 27 and he's had a fair opportunity.  He has a good batting eye but he can't handle a good fastball, and he doesn't offer any speed or defense.  He is a year older and has shown a lot less potential overall than Hays or Santander.  He might make a good hitting coach someday, but if the O's DFA him tomorrow I can't say I'd be surprised or upset.   

Let's give Neustrom a chance in Baltimore and promote Stowers to Norfolk.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

There's no chance that the Oriole's use a 40man roster spot on Neustrom during this season and off-season.

Please explain.  He was drafted in 2018 out of college.   He is protected for 4 years before he has to be protected from the Rule 5 draft.   That is 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021.  Did they extend things because of COVID?