New? trade partners for Ramon

GotNitro

If the best offer to date is Nate Robertson (and the $19 million over two years left on his contract) straight up for Ramon Hernandez (and the $9 million for one year left his contract), should the Baltimore Orioles accept just to get the deal done?

I suspect the Orioles are prudently waiting for the best offer. Spring Training won't start for about three months, so there's no great rush.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right... that was why I was curious about the 15 days you mentioned earlier. Give Wieters until whenever the Orioles judge the service clock/arbitration clock timing is okay (early/mid May?), and as long as he's ready and not in a slump, bring him up. :)

My biggest problem with this is that I hope arbitration isn't an issue. If he is playing well then we should have his arbitration years bought out and his extra half of year under our control shouldn't matter. If he is as good as we are projecting him to be this should not be an issue. If he is ready to play in the MLB then there is no reason to wait. If he has a rookie year like Longoria or Braun then we should have him signed this year or next year to a long term deal. But knowing the Orioles... :cussing:

Plus the fact AM probably wants 3 top prospects for him.

I haven't heard that and I know you're probably joking, but if it's true, it would be ridiculous on AM's part. I do think he would want something of value, but at this point it has to be clear to everyone including him that Ramon's time with the O's needs to come to an end.

My biggest problem with this is that I hope arbitration isn't an issue. If he is playing well then we should have his arbitration years bought out and his extra half of year under our control shouldn't matter. If he is as good as we are projecting him to be this should not be an issue. If he is ready to play in the MLB then there is no reason to wait. If he has a rookie year like Longoria or Braun then we should have him signed this year or next year to a long term deal. But knowing the Orioles... :cussing:

It has nothing to do with the Orioles and everything to do with Boras. He tells clients not to take extensions and wait until FA.

It has nothing to do with the Orioles and everything to do with Boras. He tells clients not to take extensions and wait until FA.

6 years is a long time. On top of that he wont make contract worth anything until year 4. Therefore How much money could you really pass up for an extra year of free agency? Think about it this way if he were to take it year to year he would receive on average for the first 3 years of $500,000. That is nothing in baseball terms. The other 3 years IF he is a=everything we say he is which I know he will be he would get at best $20 million dollars for those 3 years. There is an article about how you make something like 40% of FA value the first year, 60% the 2nd and 80% the third. Therefore I think $20 million is a high estimate so if we offered him something like what the Rays offered Longoria of 9 year 44M with 17.5 guaranteed I think it would be difficult to not accept it considering it is guaranteed money.

Here is a link talking about the Longoria contract.

http://skyking162.com/2008/04/evan-longoria-math/

I haven't heard that and I know you're probably joking, but if it's true, it would be ridiculous on AM's part. I do think he would want something of value, but at this point it has to be clear to everyone including him that Ramon's time with the O's needs to come to an end.

Yeah, I was joking. But then again, with AM you never know.

No way man, c'mon.

If they're gonna do with Wieters like Tampa did with Longoria this year, that's fine...

But I swear, leaving him down any longer is completely unacceptable.

My big fear is that...they wait too long to call him up and he gets enough at bats to technically qualify for the ROY but loses out to Price. IMO, writers already want to hand that award over to Price already, it's practically giftwrapped. Wieters has an uphill battle to win that thing, but has no chance if the O's keep him in the minors too long and Price gets off to a good start.

I know that's silly, but the O's need something to feel good about in addition to Nick and Jones. If Wieters were to win the ROY, it'd shine more light on our youth movement and bring a little bit of much needed recognition to the team.

I can easily see the O's screwing that up and bringing him up after the all star break and ruining any ROY chances.

Oh wait, this is about Hernandez, right? :D

Trade him! It's not Bedard, it's not Tejada, we don't have to sit and wait to get multiple top level prospects from teams. Take a good minor leaguer or two, eat some salary and get on with it.

Ask the Pirates how much the Jason Bay ROY award meant to the future success of the team. Its a nice award to win but inconsequential in the vast scheme of things. I suppose if Wieters won this year and then one of the big three won it the next it might mean something about perceptions, but thats all.

6 years is a long time. On top of that he wont make contract worth anything until year 4. Therefore How much money could you really pass up for an extra year of free agency? Think about it this way if he were to take it year to year he would receive on average for the first 3 years of $500,000. That is nothing in baseball terms. The other 3 years IF he is a=everything we say he is which I know he will be he would get at best $20 million dollars for those 3 years. There is an article about how you make something like 40% of FA value the first year, 60% the 2nd and 80% the third. Therefore I think $20 million is a high estimate so if we offered him something like what the Rays offered Longoria of 9 year 44M with 17.5 guaranteed I think it would be difficult to not accept it considering it is guaranteed money.

Here is a link talking about the Longoria contract.

http://skyking162.com/2008/04/evan-longoria-math/

Boras's opinion:

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/120424

Agent Scott Boras said, "There are a lot of bad deals out there. Some of these deals cost the player as much money as the money they're guaranteed. ... These deals are strongly club-oriented. I can only speak for our clients, but almost every client has benefited substantially from not signing those deals.

Archived