So what is up with Marcos Diplan?

Tony-OH

I was asked my thoughts on Diplan in the game thread and thought I'd post it here as well.

He's pitching better than he did in AAA with is a good thing. Some guys handle that pressure better than others.

I've seen a guy who has done a very good job of staying out of the middle of the strikezone and gets some late movement, even though that movement overall is below average on most of his pitches.

The curveball has very high spin rate but it has below average movement for a pitch at the 80-81 MPH range. He had a 1.627 WHIP in AAA so while his start to his major league career has been impressive, I'm going to take a wait and see approach.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

His delivery is a bit weird with a long hesitation after he raises his left leg.   That might throw off batters’ timing in the short run.  Once they’ve seen him a few times, maybe not.  These days, I’m just happy to see any Orioles pitcher do anything good for any period of time.   

I think it could be a matter of poor advance scouting and hitters are struggling due to his funky delivery, although it would seem that scouting would be worse in AAA so it is odd that he struggled so much there. 

He has always been a high walk guy, with a minor league BB/9 of 4.9. Not sure if that is a matter of struggling to repeat his delivery, but it has been a consistent problem throughout his career.

Also, his name is spelled "Marcos".

• Tony-OH changed the title to So what is up with Marcos Diplan?
12 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I think it could be a matter of poor advance scouting and hitters are struggling due to his funky delivery, although it would seem that scouting would be worse in AAA so it is odd that he struggled so much there. 

He has always been a high walk guy, with a minor league BB/9 of 4.9. Not sure if that is a matter of struggling to repeat his delivery, but it has been a consistent problem throughout his career.

Also, his name is spelled "Marcos".

Thanks, that was a typo.

He's been sharp, man. His best pitch of the night was 96 at the top of the zone for a K. I don't think we knew he had that in his back pocket. I'm skeptical it lasts, but it's not like he has to be insanely good to stick in this bullpen. Just be somewhat effective.