Chris Davis retires!

MurphDogg

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Good times.  

So, thanks because this montage includes the broken bat HR which is on YT, but by itself but won’t embed. I didn’t realize it was 2012, but that’s ridiculous strength. 

The problem I had with him was in 2014 when they probably could have used him in the PO and he was suspended. 

Other than that, the contract was a joke. A three year offer would have been fine and he would have walked. They had Trumbo. 

However, as others have said, you can’t fault Davis for signing a deal to make himself rich, that was all PA. 

From what I’ve read, he and his wife are very present in the community and they’ve given of their time and money. While some people will say they should do that, they didn’t have to. 

1 hour ago, Herman said:

I started taking them less seriously after they signed him to that ridiculous contract and my interest in the team was reduced even further when they botched the Machado trade. They will have to earn my attention and respect back. Drafting Heston Kjerkstad didn't exactly inspire confidence.

Not to derail a thread about Davis, but there was nothing wrong with drafting Kjerstad. His medical issues are unfortunate, but no one could have known about that at the time of the pick. You could take it as proof that the org is cursed, I suppose. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Too Tall said:

Just asking? And I am glad this Saga is over as well! Since Chis is retiring due to a degenerative hip condition, could insurance have any positive affect on the Orioles payout? If his contract was insured or partially insured, the insurance company would be a partner in this as well. May be the reason why the Orioles did not wait for next year and any benefit from a delayed labor negotiations settlement. 

Good question.  But I recall when insurance paid part of the Albert Belle contract, one of the conditions was he couldn’t officially retire and had to stay of the 40-man roster.   That way, he qualified as someone who was available to play except for his injury, which is what the insurance contract required.   But of course the wording of those policies or the way they are settled could have changed in the intervening 18 years.  

So, if Davis gets inducted to the Orioles HOF some day and you happened to be at the game where he was inducted, would you cheer him?

I would.   Not happy with how his career ended but he made some major contributions to our 2012-16 teams and I’d recognize him for that and his good work in the community.   

42 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Possibly a combination of no more (or different) ADD medications, stops taking PEDs and natural physical deterioration that takes place as you get older. 

I firmly believe part of the issue is that he stopped putting the work in.   

I think the effort level declined after he signed the big deal.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I firmly believe part of the issue is that he stopped putting the work in.   

I think the effort level declined after he signed the big deal.

Agree on that point, Davis treated his contract like hitting the lottery. I don't remember which year exactly, but in one of the seasons following signing the contract Davis looked noticeably smaller. The bulky muscular Chris Davis was gone.