Chris Davis retires!

MurphDogg

5 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Ryan Howard produced negative WAR during his last contract (5/125 + 10 million buyout,) and arguably was worse, because he didn't produce a single season over 1 WAR for the duration of the contract.  Davis was at least serviceable for the first year of his contract (3 WAR from BB-ref.)

Howard was definitely worse.  I think Fielder was worth like 7 WAR for 9/$214.  So, terrible, but just not in that bottom echelon of tragicomedies like Davis.

6 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Ryan Howard produced negative WAR during his last contract (5/125 + 10 million buyout,) and arguably was worse, because he didn't produce a single season over 1 WAR for the duration of the contract.  Davis was at least serviceable for the first year of his contract (3 WAR from BB-ref.)

Yes, that was a stinker too. but for some reason, there is still a lot more Ryan Howard memorabilia proudly displayed in PA bars than Davis stuff in Baltimore.

Thanks for the great memories Chris. I went back through my database, he hit at least 15 HR at games I attended, only Cal comes close with 5? The most memorable for me in person was the three HR game against Toronto in 2012, the Opening Day grand slam in 2013 against the Twins, and the line drive laser-shot at Nats Park in 2019 with my brother and great friend from college. I was also sitting in section 3 at Camden Yards when he hit a home run next to my head, just fair, in the final game of the 2015 season. He homered the last four games I attended in which he played, including a spring game in 2020 with my Dad, Mom, wife, and son. I'll never forget the 16 inning game I watched (TV) pitch-for-pitch in 2012 in which he pitched two scoreless innings. I'll look back on his bobblehead fondly. 

Edited by fansince1988
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fansince1988 said:

Thanks for the great memories Chris. I went back through my database, he hit at least 15 HR at games I attended, only Cal comes close with 5? 

Wait, you have a database of games you attended?   Do tell!

I’d love to know who hit the most homers at games I attended.   I have no idea how many games I’ve attended, but I’d guess it’s between 250 - 350, mostly between 1977 and now.   I’m sure Cal played in more of them than anyone else, though I can’t say I remember any of his homers other than the one he hit in 2131.   

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wait, you have a database of games you attended?   Do tell!

I’d love to know who hit the most homers at games I attended.   I have no idea how many games I’ve attended, but I’d guess it’s between 250 - 350, mostly between 1977 and now.   I’m sure Cal played in more of them than anyone else, though I can’t say I remember any of his homers other than the one he hit in 2131.   

I’ve tried to keep all my ticket stubs to all the games I have attended. Can’t do that anymore.....

I recall the first game I attended in 1981.  I knew my dad kept his tickets as well but after my father passed I could never find that stub in his house. I thought I knew where it was. Still pisses me off. I think a couple more are missing.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

You don’t need no stinking article.   Everything you need to know is here:

FYI Howard's contract was technically 135M because the Phillies paid an extra 10 million buyout to get out of the 2017 option.

Good stuff though.  I think Davis is worse now because he's produced more negative WAR.  But I'd argue that his negative performance after that point almost shouldn't be counted against him, because he wouldn't have played if the Orioles were any good.

8 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

If it is interest free, that is at least some savings for the O's.

So, even if there is a lockout, Davis will still get paid every penny next year.  I just wish Davis put as much effort into maximizing his value to the O's as he does in maximizing the payouts of his contract.  From what I understand, even if there is a lockout, Davis will still be paid his full 2022 salary, just not all in 2022.  The sacrifices this guy makes!