Chris Davis retires!

MurphDogg

1 minute ago, jamalshw said:

Jon Heyman is reporting he's still receiving his 2022 salary, but the deferrals are restructured. 

And for one moment I thought Chris Davis did something honorable, but no he will steal another 30+ million from Baltimore for a contract that he received while using PED's.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Good for Chris.  Great for the Orioles.  I imagine there is a negotiation that made this a better deal for everyone.  Davis is a terrible baseball player, but he didn't bid against himself, the O's did.  I hated the deal but I sure did enjoy those good years.  Thanks Chris.  Good job, Mike Elias.  I guess this means we are focusing on the Major League roster?  It's time!

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

If there really was a grave, I wouldn't be trampling. Instead he took money and stopped doing whatever it was he did to earn that money. He made an agreement under false pretenses and then didn't live up to his end of the bargain. Then he was a douche about it. I get that he gave us good memories, but what's fresh in my mind is that he's a bad dude. 

Good riddance.

I don’t have an issue with these thoughts.  A lot of truth to them.

Just saying, for the moment, I will choose to remember the good stuff, including his great work in the community.

18 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Do we know there is a payout?  Through now he's been paid something like $164M, the O's still owe him $30ish plus deferred payments.  But if he just retired he forfeits the $30M.

His whole contact was for $161 mm, reduced to $148 mm when the season was shortened last year.   By retiring (if there is no buyout) he’s reducing the total payment obligation to about $118 mm, of which about $86 mm has been paid and $32 mm is deferred.  

Edit - never mind, I see they are paying him his 2022 salary over three years.  

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Ok so it's a negotiated settlement and the Orioles have agreed to the terms on the restructuring the remainder of Davis' contract. So I guess that means we get Chris Davis day for the next 5 years? ?

We already had Chris Davis Day scheduled for July 11, 2023-37.

$3.5M 2023-32 and $1.7M 2033-37.

The 2011 trade with Texas for Hunter and Davis for Koji was a good deal. The Davis we got back was okay in 2011, great in 2012, 2013 and 2015 and spotty in 2014. Overall, though, the return was great. As we all know, the issue was the post free agent Davis. Had Davis walked away and signed somewhere else (or had Angelos let that happen) we would think of him in a much different light here in Baltimore. 

• Upvote 2

It tells you that player rep Chris Davis is very concerned about not getting paid next season.  If not he just had to show up at spring training if they had one and receive his whole salary next year.  Now he is 100% sure he will get it just over 3 years.  He will have to adjust his spending budget but I am sure he will be fine.?

• Upvote 1