Chris Davis retires!

MurphDogg

16 minutes ago, brvn52 said:

There are plenty of reasons to knock Davis, but his generosity is not one of them. He’s been immensely generous to Baltimore. To say he should donate his entire 2022 salary just isn’t fair. 

I’m glad Davis has made some sizable charitable contributions, but I don’t know that I’d call them “immensely generous.”   $3 mm to Children’s Hospital is about 2% of what he will receive under his big contract.   To me that’s not immense.   I know many people who give a much higher percentage of their income to charity, who do not have nearly the disposable income Davis has.  Now, I don’t know what other charitable contributions he’s made in Baltimore besides that one, and I’m not knocking his generosity at all.   Just saying that I don’t consider the one contribution that I know of to be “immense” in the context of his income.   

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, kidrock said:

That's my interpretation, but agree, it is not clear.

At the end of the day, this doesn't really save all that much money.  The O's get some time value of money benefits and maybe they save the 6m of next years deferred, but that's it.

It’s just good to have this over with, once and for all.    No more threads speculating on whether Davis will show up for spring training, whether the O’s will cut him, etc.   We can discuss it one last time over the next week or two and it no longer will be a big topic.  

3 minutes ago, kidrock said:

Agree - my point was that it just doesn't save much money.

Without knowing the exact numbers it makes me a bit curious on why now agree to a settlement. There is a very real chance of a work stoppage next year and the possibility the Orioles could save $8M or so on Davis' 2022 salary. 

I think there has to be some savings for the Orioles, otherwise why not wait until spring training next year before acting. Maybe Elias has plans for international player development and he needs that money to be allocated now. And reaching this settlement with Davis was the only way to free up the funds. 

The guy is getting all of his money. Basically the Orioles paid him to just go away. 

His legacy will be as the guy who signed the biggest contract in Orioles history, suddenly got small, and stopped hitting. He did what he needed to do to get his big payday and Boros took advantage of an elderly sickly man to get this monstrous payday.

The best I can say about this situation is I'm glad it's over and I hopefully don't have to hear Davis' name again.

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m glad Davis has made some sizable charitable contributions, but I don’t know that I’d call them “immensely generous.”   $3 mm to Children’s Hospital is about 2% of what he will receive under his big contract.   To me that’s not immense.   I know many people who give a much higher percentage of their income to charity, who do not have nearly the disposable income Davis has.  Now, I don’t know what other charitable contributions he’s made in Baltimore besides that one, and I’m not knocking his generosity at all.   Just saying that I don’t consider the one contribution that I know of to be “immense” in the context of his income.   

Remember Jesus parable of the Rich man and the widow, The “go-to” Sermon for every Baptist preacher every year at pledge time.

Any man who has a quarter billion dollars in the bank can hand out $1 million here or there. If Davis wants to do some thing meaningful for Baltimore( or for Texas or for wherever) He should spend some of his Considerable fortune creating a lasting foundation that will be able to generate income and provide financial assistance for meaningful causes.

Giving a bit of money once or twice is nice-and good press!-but useless. Creating a machine that can continually provide assets for targeted causes is meaningful, and every fabulously rich person has that obligation.

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Without knowing the exact numbers it makes me a bit curious on why now agree to a settlement. There is a very real chance of a work stoppage next year and the possibility the Orioles could save $8M or so on Davis' 2022 salary. 

I think whatever uncertainty exists there was probably baked into the negotiated terms, and by two parties with relatively high information on those prospects.   Maybe there's even the tiniest glint of hope Davis' seeming retention of almost all coming to him means everyone's confidence level in 2022 mostly happening is improving.

Regardless, just so happy this is over.

Best of luck to Chris.  We will always have fond memories of him in the years after acquiring him for Koji and before resigning him.  One thing that sticks out was that solo homer in 2012 in the second to last game of the season at Tropicana Field to dead center, in a 1-0 win that either clinched the playoffs, or brought us closer to them.  Effortless power, good OBP, seemed like a wholesome guy.

Still, his was by far the worst contract the Orioles-and perhaps any MLB team-has ever given out.  I will do my best to remember the pre-contract years.

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

There is not going to be a stoppage. Take it to the bank. 

I don't want there to be one either and maybe because of last year it's not going to happen again. Many players in their prime earnings years are going to lose out again if there is a work stoppage that wipes out half of the 2022 season. 

Chris Davis's last game as an Oriole turns out to be last September 11 in the second game of a doubleheader vs the Yankees.   He was 0 for 3.

His last game at Oriole Park was last August 19 vs Toronto, he was 0 for 4.

His last hit was a year ago today, in Philly, off Zach Elfin.   He went 0 for 15 to finish his career after that point.

His last game at Oriole Park in front of fans was September 22, 2019, in the first game of a doubleheader vs the Mariners.  He was 1 for 2, with a home run off Marco Gonzelez.

The next day at Toronto, he hit his last home run in the 12th inning of a 15 inning, 11-10 loss, off Jordan Romano.  He did not hit a HR in the last 59 at bats of his career.

[And Davis appeared in one game this spring training:  the very first game on February 28 vs the Pirates.  He started at DH and went 0 for 2.  That was the last time he ever appeared on the playing field in an Oriole uniform].

• Upvote 4