.900 OPS hitters

OriolesMagic83

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not criticizing the work.  I’m simply saying it is hard not to rely on the eye test when the advanced metrics don’t give you a consensus answer.   In this case the most favored metric (OAA) grades Mullins a heavy plus, but all the other three have him solidly negative.  So that’s not enough evidence one way or the other for me to depart from what I see when I watch.   That would be true regardless of what my opinion was.

Is +8 OAA a heavy plus?  Assuming an extra out in the outfield is worth, what... half a run maybe?  So Mullins is +4 runs by range, no judgment on arm, so might be a touch above average.  The others say he's negative. 

What is the average or median error between OAA and TZ or UZR?

I always assume my eyes are missing something.

On 8/13/2021 at 3:00 PM, Pickles said:

Yeah, he's going to finish Top 10 in the MVP this year- on a team that's going to lose 100 games.  If we were somehow competitive, I believe he could perhaps win it.

This is probably his "career year."  That's ok.  I bet he plays like an all-star for most of next half decade.

Not this year with Ohtani.  Even not considering him, Guerrero would have probably gotten the nod.  But on an off year I could have seen the performance to be enough for an MVP.