Dustin Pedroia Wins AL MVP

Tank

Markakis not getting a single vote is silly. I have a feeling OldFan is gonna start a thread soon.

Tex getting 1 point just baffles me. They vote for Manny but not him? Apparently your contributions don't matter at all if the rest of your team is good.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evan Grant from the Dallas Morning News left Pedroia off his ballot entirely.

I don't care how you feel about Dustin Pedroia; if you leave the eventual winner totally off your ballot, you should be beaten about the ears with your own shoes and then have your voting privileges revoked. Writers trying to make "statements" with these ballots is like whispering into a hurricane. Just stop.

He's harmless and good for the game. We just need someone who can give it back to him and actually back it up with performance. Kind of like Kevin Millar but 3 times better.

But he's a di--well, you know. I wouldn't like him if he were on my team, just as wouldn't like Manny Ramirez if he played with the Os. I'd gladly take their contributions, but not their attitudes.

Pedroia is good ball player, which separate from being a good guy. That being said, I'd have gone with Mauer. I think the Baseball Crank makes a good case for Mauer http://www.baseballcrank.com/

I think some people on here are letting their Red Sox/Pedroia hate get in the way. I think Pedroia was certainly deserving, regardless of how annoying people find him.

.326/.376/.493, 17HR, 20SB/1CS (95%) from 2B. 6 errors all season. That's an excellent season, any way you slice it.

JTrea, I'd be interested in your argument for Mauer and Morneau.

Do people think Pedroia was a bad choice? I thought he was very deserving. I think Sizemore and Mauer were reasonable picks too' date=' but if I had a vote it would have been for Pedroia. I'm just glad Morneau didn't win. That would have been a joke.[/quote']

Nah, unfortunately he's a defensible pick. He's just so damn insufferable. :angryfire:

Do people think Pedroia was a bad choice? I thought he was very deserving. I think Sizemore and Mauer were reasonable picks too' date=' but if I had a vote it would have been for Pedroia. I'm just glad Morneau didn't win. That would have been a joke.[/quote']

I thought he was a decent choice. Probably should have gone to Mauer or Sizemore or even Cliff Lee, but Pedroia is defensible. Much better than the BBWAA's normal "we'll just give it to the guy with the RBIs" choice.

Markakis not getting a single vote is silly. I have a feeling OldFan is gonna start a thread soon.

Tex getting 1 point just baffles me. They vote for Manny but not him? Apparently your contributions don't matter at all if the rest of your team is good.

You don't win the MVP award on two months. It would be hard to be the MVP in 200 PAs if you hit .500/.750/1.000 and played Ozzie Smith defense.

Dumb people voting for Manny doesn't justify dumb people voting for Teixeira.

I think some people on here are letting their Red Sox/Pedroia hate get in the way. I think Pedroia was certainly deserving, regardless of how annoying people find him.

.326/.376/.493, 17HR, 20SB/1CS (95%) from 2B. 6 errors all season. That's an excellent season, any way you slice it.

JTrea, I'd be interested in your argument for Mauer and Morneau.

Yea it is a great season.

.328 /.413 /.451 from a catcher. That is a better season.

Morneau had like all the RBI on his team.

I thought he was a decent choice. Probably should have gone to Mauer or Sizemore or even Cliff Lee, but Pedroia is defensible. Much better than the BBWAA's normal "we'll just give it to the guy with the RBIs" choice.

You don't win the MVP award on two months. It would be hard to be the MVP in 200 PAs if you hit .500/.750/1.000 and played Ozzie Smith defense.

I didn't say it's WRONG, I just said it baffles me how the BBWAA is so inconsistent, and it's annoying how the voters seem to hand out so many extra points to a player if the rest of his team hasn't done well.

Anyway, this was posted on the Minor League Ball board about Utley, and I think it's a good point:

Utley...

Who was better than Pedroia in every measure offensively and was off-the-charts better defensively finished 15th in NL MVP voting.

Pedroia finishes 1st in the AL.

Am I taking crazy pills?

Or for Sabathia, dominating pitcher that he was down the stretch. You shouldn't even qualify for consideration playing only half a season or less for your team. Production with a different team or in a different league shouldn't count; we're talking about contributions to the season that your team compiled. Wins in April count just as much in the standings as those in September, even though the criticality of the latter games is more apparent.

Pedroia was a bad choice because his numbers were inflated by Fenway Park. All he did this year was become an expert in hitting lazy fly balls off the Monster and cruising into 2nd. During away games he was about as good as Mora or Roberts, which isn't terrible but it aint no MVP.

Evan Grant from the Dallas Morning News left Pedroia off his ballot entirely.

I don't care how you feel about Dustin Pedroia; if you leave the eventual winner totally off your ballot, you should be beaten about the ears with your own shoes and then have your voting privileges revoked. Writers trying to make "statements" with these ballots is like whispering into a hurricane. Just stop.

I disagree completely. If there is a guy you think is going to win and you think he is undeserving, you should give him zero of your votes. That isn't a statement, it's just smart. Quite frankly, the fact that more writers don't do this in the MVP and CY votes is baffling to me. Maybe I'm too cynical and they just pure, good-hearted baseball fans. Or maybe they're dumb, which seems more likely.

To illustrate, let's say you have a political race where there are 5 candidates running for 3 seats. You really want 2 of the candidates to win but don't care about the third. You would have to be a complete idiot to cast the third vote. This is a little different because you have to rank your choices, but it's the same principle.

I disagree completely. If there is a guy you think is going to win and you think he is undeserving, you should give him zero of your votes. That isn't a statement, it's just smart. Quite frankly, the fact that more writers don't do this in the MVP and CY votes is baffling to me. Maybe I'm too cynical and they just pure, good-hearted baseball fans. Or maybe they're dumb, which seems more likely.

No, it's not smart, because that's not the way the voting system works. If Grant was thinking that way, he should have just written down one or two names so the ones he thought were just filler weren't given additional votes. Instead, he filled out all 10 and omitted Pedroia. You (generic "you") rank your top 10 choices. If you leave Dustin Pedroia out, you did not think he was in the top 10 of the AL, or you are vindictive because you don't like his big mouth or the B on his hat. Leaving him out for the first reason means you know nothing about evaluating baseball players. Leaving him out for the second reason means you are juvenile and petty. Neither one is becoming. Leaving him entirely off so he gets NO points is indeed making a statement: I don't like this guy, so I'm going to sabotage him. If you think he was THAT undeserving, then there is still something wrong with you, because he wasn't. Heck, Grant was just on WEEI and even he now seems to think he's stupid.

Edit: Sorry for the strong tone, for some reason this issue has me hot under the collar.

Archived