Is Elijah Green a once in a generation talent?

I know that he gets a lot of attention as a 2022 prospect and currently is thought of as the possible 1-1 pick in next years draft.  But is he a "Bryce Harper"/"Stephen Strasburg" type talent?

Here's some info that I have found while looking around the interwebs today.

Elijah Green
OF
Windermere, FL
IMG Academy
Commitment: University of Miami
GRAD 2022 
HT 6'3''
WT 215LBS
THROWS RIGHT
BATS RIGHT
ARM 95 MPH
60 YD 6.28

Hitting
65 Hitting Grade (R) Grade.
70 Power Grade (R) Grade.
103 mph Exit Velocity Scale

"As an amateur scout, you dream of the opportunity to get a taste of a future superstar years before anyone knows his name. Guys that saw Carlos Correa in 2009 knew what was to come. Folks that saw Fernando Tatis Jr. several years ago had their suspicions. IMG Academy’s Elijah Green is that caliber player."
James Weisser 
ProspectsLive.com

Here's a link with excellent footage and info about him:   https://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=535648

Here's another quote from another write up from Prospects Live: 

"Some evaluators believe he could be a plus hitter with double-plus raw power. He’s currently a 70-runner with a 70-arm as well." 

https://www.prospectslive.com/mlb-draft/2021/5/3/22-for-22-some-premier-names-to-know-for-the-2022-mlb-draft

So do you think he will be one of the can't miss/must take 1-1 type of players?

Edited by higgybaby

As of now he seems like it.   I have read some scouting reports indicate there's a bit of "swing and miss" there, which would give some cause for concern.   Don't remember reading anything like that with Bryce Harper....

Next year will have a loaded top 10.  Jace Jung may be the "safest" pick with chance to be a star.  Termarr Johnson is extremely highly regarded and HS RHP Dylan Lesko may have the best stuff for a High Schooler in a very long time.  (and heaven knows, the O's could use some pitching....)

6 hours ago, waynebug said:

MLB Pipline has Os picking 2nd and taking a high school pitcher from Georgia.

They must have never watched Elias operate.

3 drafts, 65 selections.  One high school pitcher, 5th round 2020.

There’s a first time for everything.   I doubt even Elias thinks he can draft so little pitching year in and year out.   

I don’t like terms like “once in a generation talent” or “generational talent.”   How long is a generation, anyway?   Both Harper and Strasburg were supposedly in this category and while both have been very good, neither was (to date) the best player in their own draft class, much less in a generation.   

I think maybe the better way to look at it is once in a while a guy comes along whose floor, barring injuries, is a 25-30 WAR player, and who’s ceiling is 50+.   That does not happen every year, as evidenced by the off-and-on track record of 1:1 picks.    Both Harper and Strasburg fit that mold.   They were too good to fail, and they didn’t.  If you have a guy like that in the draft class, you have to take him.   

So is Green one of those?   I’ll let the scouts decide.   

• Upvote 4

At 6'3 225 he's probably going to outgrow CF. You generally dont see players that big in CF. That cuts back his value a bit. Also has a K Rate of 29%, which he will need to cut way back on. I guess Green does have 40 HR upside which is great. If he's still the consensus #1 pick next June then I guess I would draft him. Would love a SP to emerge though.    

If the Elijah Green under discussion here makes it to the big leagues, he will be the second player of that name to do so.

A lot of people know that the Red Sox' first African-American player was Pumpsie Green.  Not as many know that his real first name was Elijah.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

If Rocker goes back to school and proves he is healthy, does he enter the BPA discussion again vs Green?

I hope not.  Even if he's healthy all next year, I'd be hesitate to draft him 1-1.  All the warning signs from this past year would still exist, even if he has a healthy 2022.

1 hour ago, forphase1 said:

I hope not.  Even if he's healthy all next year, I'd be hesitate to draft him 1-1.  All the warning signs from this past year would still exist, even if he has a healthy 2022.

He’s not playing this year (mistake) at Vandy or any other league, as of now, but he wouldn’t be going 1-1 anyway.
He might be a good value after number 10, though.

Some team will take a shot on him before the second round.

On 8/20/2021 at 3:09 PM, jabba72 said:

At 6'3 225 he's probably going to outgrow CF. You generally dont see players that big in CF. That cuts back his value a bit. Also has a K Rate of 29%, which he will need to cut way back on. I guess Green does have 40 HR upside which is great. If he's still the consensus #1 pick next June then I guess I would draft him. Would love a SP to emerge though.    

29% K rate in high school? Hopefully he'll drop that down significantly his senior year.