Stockstill hints Matusz to Frederick is likely

Frobby

Honestly, I think the fact that he's going to be in OUR minor league system is the worst part of it, no matter what level he's pitching.

We have shown an inability to develop players who are ready for the majors, and I am scared that they are going to ruin this guy. If he starts having command issues in Frederick, I'm really going to start to worry.

Wieters worked out fine... I think as long as a player has an advanced skill set they will be fine in our system. It seems like the fringe players and lower-tier prospects are the ones who get screwed up in our MiL system.

Matusz, assuming he stays healthy, will be fine.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wieters worked out fine... I think as long as a player has an advanced skill set they will be fine in our system. It seems like the fringe players and lower-tier prospects are the ones who get screwed up in our MiL system.

Matusz, assuming he stays healthy, will be fine.

Good point. Massive amounts of talent trumps poor coaching.

but he believes Matusz is the O's second or 3rd best starter right now.

It's pretty sad to realize that this isn't even a controversial statement. When you consider that our second best starter last year was either Daniel Cabrera or Chris Waters, it's not a very high bar to clear.

I'm with Sports Guy on this one...I don't have a problem with him getting his feet wet at Frederick, but like Arietta he'll be kept down there way too long. If he blows people away at Frederick (and I think he will) in his first five starts, he should be promoted. Instead he'll have to wait until the all star break, like Weiters.

Well when the farm director has it out for the scouting director, of course he's going to try to lowball the guy. Can't have the scouting guy's top pick start off TOO hot now.

Is this a new insider bombshell from Sailor Jerry? Recall that he was the one to tell us that MacPhail wanted Stockstill out but was overruled by Angelos...now he's telling us that Stockstill wants Jordan's job (or wants to force him out in any event)? Maybe he already dropped this one in an earlier thread, but I must have missed it if so.

Is this a new insider bombshell from Sailor Jerry? Recall that he was the one to tell us that MacPhail wanted Stockstill out but was overruled by Angelos...now he's telling us that Stockstill wants Jordan's job (or wants to force him out in any event)? Maybe he already dropped this one in an earlier thread, but I must have missed it if so.

I've never heard one logical reason why Angelos would over rule MacPhail on a front office staff issue like this. And, both Stockstill and Jordan just signed long-term extensions. I'm sure there's friction in every organization, at least everyone that I've been part of (family, Army, two companies and state government, over the years). But, I think this situation has been blown way out of proportion. There's always two, three or more sides to every story. And, I always get back to - why would Angelos care?

IF this scout Tony is talking to is correct and Matusz would be our 2nd or 3rd best starter RIGHT NOW, then I probably wouldn't keep him in the minors for more than a couple of months. If he's really that advanced, send him straight to AA and if he's dominating there after 2 months, just bring him up.

I keep pitchers in the minors for only 3 reasons:

1. To delay the start of the FA clock.

2. Because they are not ready to be as good or better than the pitchers on the major league roster.

3. Because they have some aspect of their game that they need to work on in the minors without the "win now" pressure of the majors. (E.g., working on command or development of a third pitch.)

When none of those reasons apply, get him up here.

Guest Sailor Jerry
now he's telling us that Stockstill wants Jordan's job

No. That's not even close to what I'm saying. Stocky just doesn't mind making Jordan look bad.

I can buy into the fact that there's friction between the two. It's hard to buy into the fact that Stockstill would intentionally hold players back or start them too low, JUST to make Jordan look bad. Are you saying that he's doing this or doing something else to make him look bad? Just curious.

If anything, wouldn't that make him look better? I mean if you draft or find a stud, and then you hold him down a level or two, shouldn't he over perform, thus making him look better?

I've seen nothing that tells me it's a bad idea to start Matusz in Frederick. Either from the history of highly picked pitchers and where they usually start or from his performance in Arizona. He hasn't been bad and he's struck out more than he's walked and more than 1 per inning, and, he's walked very few. His batting avg against is solid, but not dominating. Let him start in Hi-A and his performance will dictate when he belongs in AA.

Archived